"Murfreesboro" Top 5 Page for this destination Murfreesboro by Toughluck
Murfreesboro Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 196 photos
It was in Murfreesboro that my ancestors died, a long way from their home in Ohio. Members of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry were placed out on the Unions left flank. They had crossed Stones River at McFadden's Ford and set up camps, four deep. They were in the second line of troops. The fighting on the 30th (December) had been on the right flank and they had spent that day along the Nashville Road waiting for directions to stem the tide of Grey. They were never called. Sometime on the 31st, they moved down to the river and crossed. It looked like there battle was over and the New Year would find the two armies in siege preparation. That was not to be so.
The sun was just begining to peak over the hill. The crest blocked a direct view of it, but it's rays were cutting into a thin shroud of mist. From atop the hill came the rebel yell and pandamonium broke out. Some men were not up, Billy was still in the sack suffering from a hacking spell that had lingered for months. Grabing musket and shot, no defense was possible. Heat ripped through my side and I knew it was bad as I toppled over. Soon, I was alone with the fighting having moved on. I knew I would die here. Soldiers in Grey began checking the dead and found me. I was carried back to a field hospital, soon to spend the war as a prisoner.
Later, news reached the prisoners that the Confederacy had not succeeded in their attack. Artillery had been mounted on the rise beyond the ford and it had held the Rebel troops at bay. As quickly as we had been taken prisoner, we were abandoned where we were as the Confederate Army pulled out of Murfreesboro. Soon we were back in the arms of our conrades.
The events of the 2nd day (Jan 1) occurred on the left flank of the Union lines. The Confederate Army had formed... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Murfreesboro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "murfreesboro tennessee"
- "Are we there yet?"
- "Murfreesboro - Home Sweet Home"
- "Murfreesboro is one of my favorite towns"
- "cooldude2001's new Murfreesboro Page"
- "STONES RIVER NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Murfreesboro
- Hotels in Murfreesboro
- Nightlife in Murfreesboro
- Restaurants in Murfreesboro
- Shopping in Murfreesboro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Murfreesboro
- 3 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Murfreesboro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Murfreesboro
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues