"The Hub of the Black Hills" Top 5 Page for this destination Rapid City by Toughluck
Rapid City Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 155 photos
South Dakota's landscapes reflect the underlying rocks and the ancient overburden of massive continental glaciers.
East side of the state was covered by glaciers that once stood a mile or more (2 km's or more) at their thickest. These massive ice sheets pushed and scraped the surface of the earth, reforming the land. Today, the structure of the east side of the state shows rivers and valley that flow north and south.
The divide separating the east side from the west is the Missouri River. In many ways, it is the front edge of the glacial ice. All the streams taht once flowed to the east poured their waters up against a wall of ice and turned southward, following the ice front until it created a new river. The same was true of the water running off the glacier.
The west side of the state was not touched by glaciers and reveals the land as it once preceded the cold ice age. Streams flow in an eastward direction, cutting into the soft soils, creating escarpments of spires and slender step ravines. It is in these badlands along the valley sides that ancient fossils have been found. Where a plumb of hard rock was encountered, the rains and snows of the ages have washed the soils away, leaving a dome of hills, dark in color.
East on I-90 is Badlands National Park. Best known for being blazing hot, it is the home of fossils from the Cenozoic... more travel advice
Carved as a tribute to four of the U.S.'s great presidents, Mt. Rushmore has become a symbol of liberty and the American... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Rapid City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Black Hills"
- "Tourist town! And fun"
- "The Hub of the Black Hills"
- "The Start of the Northwest"
- "Basaic Rapid City Page"
- "Rapid City"
- "Beautiful Landscape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rapid City
- Hotels in Rapid City
- Transportation in Rapid City
- Nightlife in Rapid City
- Restaurants in Rapid City
- Shopping in Rapid City
- Warnings and Dangers in Rapid City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rapid City
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Rapid City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rapid City
Photos in Rapid CitySee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues