"Wide open South Dakota" Badlands National Park by Toughluck
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 401 photos
Through the summer, the badlands can be a land of scorching heat and unmitigated heat. You'll hear that it's a 'dry heat'. Yes, so it's not as bad as a humid heat, on the other hand, 103 degree f (40 c) can burn exposed skin and cause dehydration in a half hour.
There are no trees, no shade and no relief from the heat beyond what the car air conditioner can do or getting into the visitor center or lodge store/restaurant. It's back and forth between the car and the overlook, and right back to the car.
We finally got there in the off season, when it was only in the 60's F (16 c). Wonderful hikes and many neat areas to see and walk through. We first went when our daughter (below) as only 9 months old. This trip, she's now 30 and we had a wonderful time hiking and talking.
- Pros:Amazing landscape and unique fossil history
- Cons:Hot sun, little shelter
- In a nutshell:You have to take your time and experience the place
This is a long trail, across the Prairies. It starts at either the Fossil Exhibit Parking area or the Trails Parking... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "Harsh Beauty"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 13 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
Photos in Badlands National ParkSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 91 reviews, 227 photos, 8 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 27 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 9 travelogues