"Mid-point of the Nation" Top 5 Page for this destination Kearney by Toughluck
Kearney Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 466 photos
Kearney has become the focal point of the 'Great American Trails'. Here, they refer to the Great Platte River Road, which is a good way to sum up all the trails that pass through this wide flat valley. Here, you'll find the Oregon Trail, the California Trail, the Mormon Trail, the Pony Express, the Lincoln Highway, and more modern, Interstate 80. From the earliest to the most recent, Nebraska and the Platte River have been the conduit of the nation, linking the east and the west.
Kearney is also the eastern edge of Cowboy Country. Nebraska and Kansas are part and parcel of the real west. Most novels and movies take place further west in Wyoming, Montana, or south in Texas. But most of the traditions are from the Great Plains areas, which are Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota. It's just that the soils in the Tall Grass areas, were ripe for mega-farms that recent history has overridden earlier history and cows and cowboys are seen as further west.
- Pros:Commercial center of the high Plains
- Cons:It's alone out in the middle of the plains
- In a nutshell:Tremendous energy and pride
What a place. The setting is the most unusual for the middle of the U.S. See my travelogue that includes pictures of the... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Kearney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Kearney Page"
- "KEARNEY, NEBRASKA 68847"
- "Welcome to Kearney!"
- "View from the highway"
- "Mid-point of the Nation"
- "Calidris's Kearney Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kearney
- Hotels in Kearney
- Transportation in Kearney
- Nightlife in Kearney
- Restaurants in Kearney
- Shopping in Kearney
- Warnings and Dangers in Kearney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kearney
- 2 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Kearney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kearney
Photos in KearneySee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 92 reviews, 240 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 27 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues