"Return to the world of the Voyaguer" Grand Portage National Monument by Toughluck
Grand Portage National Monument Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 26 photos
As early as 2,000 years ago, Indian Nations probably used Kitchi Onigaming “the Great Carrying Place” to travel from summer homes on Lake Superior to winter hunting grounds in the interior of Minnesota and Ontario. In 1729 Cree guide Auchagah drew a map for some of the first French fur traders showing them how to reach the "western sea" of Lake Winnipeg. Other Europeans would follow, in time, Grand Portage became the gateway into rich northern fur bearing country connecting remote interior outposts to lucrative international markets.
In mid-July 1802, partners of the most successful fur trade company in North America, the North West Company, met in the Great Hall at Grand Portage and voted to move their summer headquarters from these shores of Lake Superior 50 miles north to the mouth of the Kaministquia River. The 18 buildings constructed from native squared spruce, pine and birch and over 2,000 cedar pickets surrounding them would be torn down, transported north in company schooners and used in constructing the new Fort William far from U.S. soil.
End you voyage on the North Shore Scenic Drive
in Grand Portage by visiting the historic fur trade post.
- In a nutshell:Find history is it's place, the place where it happened.
Grand Portage was the official release site for a commemorative postage stamp because the Grand Portage (community) Post... more travel advice
A Superior Wilderness Isle Royale’s physical isolation and primitive wilderness has challenged people for centuries;... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Grand Portage National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Return to the world of the Voyaguer"
- "Basaic Grand Portage National Monument Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Portage National Monument
- Hotels in Grand Portage National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Portage National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Portage National Monument
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Grand Portage National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Portage National Monument
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 92 reviews, 240 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 98 photos, 6 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 9 travelogues