"No matter which Way you go, There is Lake Superior" Copper Harbor by Toughluck
Copper Harbor Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 149 photos
Copper Harbor is the end of the Copper Country Trail. US 41 climbs the hill in Hancock, just across the Portage Canal from Houghton and winds through the forests from copper town to copper town, providing a natural setting for the historic mining operations that once dominated this area.
Every sailor knows that survival depends on having a safe haven and regular ports of call. Copper Harbor is that for me. The summer finds the place busy by it's winter standards. But here at the end of the road, busy is relative. There are a variety of shops. Located in three bundles. From east to west, they are spaced so that you can walk,but might find it easier to visit each group on a separate day. Within these groups of shops are restaurants. We found that we would plan to be in town at meal time. Visit a few shops, eat and move on to things to do further out.
For Isle Royale visitors, you'll need to plan an extra day or two, just for Copper Harbor.
Here on the northern edge of the Keweenaw, the big freighters can be seen as they come as close to shore as the season and traffic will allow. Every boat is coming from or heading to the Soo (Sault Ste. Marie). It is far to the south and east. Every foot north of Copper Harbor they go, adds time to their travels. You'll see many passing if you pull up a chair and watch the waves and clouds for an hour or so. The kids will love playing on the rocks all along the shore.
- Pros:Watch the boats and listen to the seagulls
- In a nutshell:The pleasures of the North Atlantic coast, but closer to home.
Don't wait for another day. When you have nice weather, sunny skies, take the ride. Brockaway Mountain is a pleasant... more travel advice
This is one of the last remaining old growth White Pine areas in the Country. There are three groves of ancient pines... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Copper Harbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kimberlyann's Copper Harbor Pages"
- "No matter which Way you go, There is Lake Superior"
- "Places in the Western U.P. #1"
- "Top of the Keweenaw - End of the Road"
- "Upper Peninsula Michigan USA"
- "Where the road less travels begins..."
- "Basaic Copper Harbor Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copper Harbor
- Hotels in Copper Harbor
- Transportation in Copper Harbor
- Restaurants in Copper Harbor
- Shopping in Copper Harbor
- Warnings and Dangers in Copper Harbor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Copper Harbor
- 15 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Copper Harbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copper Harbor
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 92 reviews, 240 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 27 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues