"Sharpsburg Caught in the middle of War" Sharpsburg by Toughluck
Sharpsburg Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 75 photos
Sharpsburg is still a small town today. On a summer afternoon, it witnesses the influx of hundreds as it did on Sept. 17, 1862. Today, the influx is to remember and relive the events of that September day 140 years ago.
40,000 Confederate soldiers had been arriving since the night before, as they pulled back from South Mountain, 12 miles (19 km) to the east. There, on Sept 14, they had been stopped by Gen McClellan's Federal troops. Gen Lee's invasion of the north had been halted. With reinforcements from Gen 'Stonewall' Jacksons command, Lee established his position on the low ridge overlooking the north and south approaches to the town. This set the stage for the coming battle.
- Pros:A chance to witness the terrible times called war.
- In a nutshell:A witness to what should never happen again
Ferry Hill overlooks the Potomac River and Shepardstown, West Virginia. The Cheseapeake and Ohio Canal preserves this... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Sharpsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beachdave's new Sharpsburg Page"
- "sharpsburg, maryland"
- "Sharpsburg Caught in the middle of War"
- "General Lee's First Defeat"
- "SHARPSBURG - QUIET BEFORE THE STORM"
- "Sharpsburg & the Battle of Antietam"
- "Antietam National Battlefield"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sharpsburg
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Sharpsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sharpsburg
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 92 reviews, 240 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 98 photos, 6 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 9 travelogues