"African American Pioneers" Nicodemus by Toughluck
Nicodemus Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 28 photos
We arrived on a July afternoon. The sky was clear and the sun was hot. The main road, passes the town just to the north. The large stone sign 'Nicodemus' is along the highway, and just a block north of Main Street. There's not much to the town. But, each July, the 4th weekend, there is a homecoming for all the descendents of the town. This is a very special place and it can be felt even in the quiet days.
You've got to remember that this town retains the memory and spirit of dozens of other towns settled by migrants from the east looking for a better life. Many towns have not survived into the 21st century. Nicodemus has gathered all those hopes, fears, and excitement into one place.
'An all Black Town settled by former slaves fleeing the south in 1877 after the Reconstruction Period had ended following the Civil war is located in the Northwest corner of Kansas. This living community is the only remaining all Black Town west of the Mississippi River that was settled in the 1800’s on the western plains by former slaves. The families of the original settlers continue to carry on their sense of hard work.'
Nicodemus was a thriving town through the late 1800's and into the early 20th Century. Like many towns on the high plains, ultimate survival depended on access to the railroad. When the railroad was built 30 miles to the south, all the town of northern Kansas began a slow down in growth and with improved roads and vehicles, the business of supporting the farms throughout the region shifted to the towns along the tracks. The advent of the Interstate system only sped up the process.
- Pros:The spirit of hope and freedom pervades the building and the community.
- Cons:Like most dreams, it's a long way from the crowded world.
Nicodemus was the first community in Graham County, Kansas, to establish a school district and school. The existing... more travel advice
Built in 1885, this limestone structure is in good shape. It's not clear when the African Methodist Episcopal Church... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Nicodemus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "African American Pioneers"
- "Nicodemus, Kansas"
- "Basaic Nicodemus National Historic Site Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nicodemus
- Transportation in Nicodemus
- Restaurants in Nicodemus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nicodemus
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Nicodemus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nicodemus
Photos in NicodemusSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues