"Great Place to Raise a Family" Valparaiso by Toughluck
Valparaiso Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 237 photos
Like most county seats in Indiana, you have to be headed to Valparaiso to get there. Yes, you can go through on US 30 or State Route 49, but you're really passing through the commecial/retail areas only. The charm and interest is in the old town itself. But to get there, you'll have to go looking.
In every county of Indiana, all road lead to the county seat. This is true for Porter County also. Every road that leads to the center of the county takes you to the center of Valparaiso. It's only the new roads (mentioned above) that now by-pass the town completely.
Porter County, Indiana was named for Capt. David Porter, a hero of the War of 1812. Admiral Porter (of Civil War Fame) is assumed to be his son or grandson. Capt. Porter was one of the most victorious Capt's of the small American Navy at the turn of the 17th to 18th Century. He sailed the South Atlantic and the South Pacific raiding British merchant vessels, sending nearly 20 prizes home.
With the county named for this great patriot, the public and the town council voted to name the town after his greatest battle, the Battle of Valparaiso. It was off the Chillean Coast from the port of Valparaiso that Capt Porter meet a flotilla of British Naval vessels. These ships had been sent to the South Pacific just to locate Porter and stop his activities. It was here that, out numbered and out gunned, Capt Porter and his crew ended through rampage through the southern hemisphere.
Capt Porter and much of his crew returned home by the end of the war having spent time as prisoners of the British Navy.
Valparaiso continues to expand as the County Seat. It's not only one of the fast growing cities in the county, the county continues to grow as Chicago discovers it's Indiana suburbs. We're still far enough away that we don't live with the hustle of the city, but during elections, we'll know who is running for Illinois' Governor before we discover who's running in Indiana.
- Pros:Small town feeling
- Cons:Chicago keeps getting closer
- In a nutshell:It's a great place to raise kids.
Amongst the newest in town is the Valley Kitchen and Bar. Pleasant atmosphere. They pride themselves on the freshest and... more travel advice
Live music in the evening, but I always go late morning. Usually around until lunch, when a number of people from the... more travel advice
- See All Annual Crop Walk
- See All Christmas in April and Habitat for...
- See All The V-Line (city bus)
- See All Parking can be hard to find.
- See All Soap Box Derby
Toughluck's Related Pages
Valparaiso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great Place to Raise a Family"
- "Valpo (Under Construction)"
- "Actually, this is my old home..."
- "Porter County Fair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valparaiso
- Hotels in Valparaiso
- Transportation in Valparaiso
- Nightlife in Valparaiso
- Restaurants in Valparaiso
- Shopping in Valparaiso
- Warnings and Dangers in Valparaiso
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Valparaiso
- 90 Reviews
- 221 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Valparaiso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valparaiso
- created a Valparaiso Travelogue "Courthouse Sq. - Lincolnway (northside"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Courthouse Sq. - Lincolnway (northside"
- Wrote a Review Restaurant that feels like a coffeehouse. in Valparaiso Restaurants
- Uploaded a Video to Valparaiso
- Posted in Travel Montana Forum "Re: Camping trip with a five and..."
Photos in ValparaisoSee All Photos (221)
Videos in ValparaisoSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 90 reviews, 221 photos, 7 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues