"Covered Bridge Capital" Rockville by Toughluck
Rockville Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 53 photos
The is something about a covered bridge that takes one back to an easier time. When life moved at a slower pace, if not a less demanding one.
For additional covered bridges in neighboring countys see:
North in County - Turkey Run State Park page
- Narrows CB Travelogue
North - Veedersburg - Fountain County page
East - Greencastle - Putnam County page
Northeast - Shades State Park - Deer Mills CB
Kings Post and Queens Post.
The King's Post bridge is the simplest. A central vertical post with a brace on each side. This bridge can span the length between the bottom of the two post. If you add additional verticle posts with braces on one side ( multiple king's post ) the bridge can span wider creeks. There is a limit when the span becomes to long.
The Queen's Post was designed to span wider creeks. It has two verticle posts that form a box and a diagonal brace on each side of the box. This is a longer span to start and can be made longer with additional 'king posts' balanced on each side of the central box.
As wider streams needed to be spanned various trusses were developed.
Burr Arch - Most common in Parke County. is a multiple King's Post with an arch added. The arch carried additional weight from the center of the span to the outer edges.
The Howe Truss is one form of strengthening a basic truss.
The Long Truss is another form of providing more strength.
The Townsend Lattice is a complete change in how to build a truss. It is a series of parallel braces forming a wall, a lattice . The form is vary strong and can be used for spans at the maximum length of the King's Post and the Queen's Post, but not much longer.
- Pros:Lots of covered bridges
- Cons:Maybe too many, too much alike
The Inn is located just inside the park's main entrance. It includes the traditional brick building with the lobby,... more travel advice
The historic downtown is interesting and the counties memorial to their World War II veterans, is one of a kind. It's... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Rockville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Rockville"
- "Covered Bridge Capital"
- "Cooner's new Rockville, In. Page"
- "Basaic Rockville Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rockville
- Hotels in Rockville
- Transportation in Rockville
- Restaurants in Rockville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rockville
- 12 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Rockville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rockville
Photos in RockvilleSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues