"Small Town with a Big Heart" Porter by Toughluck
Porter Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 82 photos
Porter is little known as it is an old track town. Centered along the railroad, downtown is one sided and hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. Most people pass through on US 20 and see trees and homes scattered about with numerous housing developments. The commercial center appears to be the truck stops at US 20 and I-94, but keep looking there's a lot more.
No, there is not alot to do in Porter. More than enough if you like historic communities, architechture and trains. In an hour you can easily see town and the places of interest. Plan your visit at meal time and enjoy the local restaurants. Plan your visit for a cool afternoon and enjoy the trains passing by.
Check out the other tips for things to do. Porter is the home of Splashdown Dunes Water Park, Indiana Dunes State Park, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, numerous delicious restaurants, the Duneland Harvest Festival, Maple Sugar Festival, Native Plant Sales, and Cowles Bog.
It's neighbors includes Chesterton, Beverly Shores, and Portage. You'll find more than a weekends worth of activites.
Beverly Shores; Chesterton, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Indiana Dunes State Park, Michigan City, Porter; Valparaiso,
and further afield: Hebron, Kouts
- Pros:It's on the way to where you want to be.
- Cons:More a center to go out from than a place to be
The Quickest way to and from Northwest Indiana are the Interstates. Two come through this area and I-94 is the quickest... more travel advice
If you're looking to pick up something for a quick lunch or wanting to put together a picnic lunch in the dunes, Steel... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Porter Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Porter
- Transportation in Porter
- Restaurants in Porter
- Warnings and Dangers in Porter
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porter
- 17 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Porter?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porter
Photos in PorterSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 91 reviews, 227 photos, 8 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 27 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 9 travelogues