"Do the Dunes" Indiana Dunes State Park by Toughluck
Indiana Dunes State Park Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 85 photos
There are seven trails the take you into the heart of the park. Over 2/3rds of the park is classified as the 'Dunes Nature Preserve'. Here you will see dunes at all stages, including blow outs. Behind the dune is an 'inter-dunal wetland'. Open water is scarce, but the marsh is home to numerous birds and the wetland and upland forest offer more variety of habitats for a diverse range of wildlife.
I you want to climb dunes, trail 8, takes you to the three highest, the 'Tremonts' from which the locallity once took it's name. Mt. Tom is 192' above lake level and one of the most rugged hikes you'll take. Mt. Holden (184') and Mt. Jackson (176') round out the trio.
Most visitors head straight to the beach. It is the center piece of why the park is here. You can lay out and take the sun, or come to watch the people. This is a family friendly beach with many families spending Saturday or Sunday afternoons picnicing and swimming. One picnic area is close enough to the beach that you can set up a base camp there and then come and go to the beach all day. Come early, as the tables and grills are gone early on any given day.
The campground also is close to the beach and has access through the nature preserve to a lesser visited part of the beach.
- Pros:The best place to see and climb sand dunes
- Cons:Gets crowded on summer weekends
Trail #10 Traverse the park from end to end on the 5.5 mile (rt) walk. Head out on the beach and come back through the... more travel advice
Trail #2 This is the easist trail in the park. The 3 easy miles passes through a wetland forest (wetter in the spring,... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Indiana Dunes State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Do the Dunes"
- "Primitive, Beauitful and Unique Hoosier Landscape!"
- "The Dunes"
- "Indiana Dunes"
- "Indiana's Dunes"
- "Yellow Sand and Azure Blue Lake"
- "There's a lot of sand here..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indiana Dunes State Park
- Hotels in Indiana Dunes State Park
- Restaurants in Indiana Dunes State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Indiana Dunes State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Indiana Dunes State Park
- 16 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Indiana Dunes State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indiana Dunes State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 90 reviews, 221 photos, 7 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues