"If you're passing through, it's worth the stop" Rantoul by Toughluck
Rantoul Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 33 photos
At the Chanute Air Museum (below) you can learn more about African-American contributions to Aviation History. Chanute Air Base was one of the first training centers for the "all negro" squadrons of World War II. In terms of individual afro-american aviator recognition, we have 2 Illinois Military Aviation Hall of Fame Members and 3 civilians important to Illinois aviation history.
On March 19, 1941, the 99th Pursuit Squadron was activated at Chanute Field. Over 250 enlisted men were trained at Chanute in aircraft ground support trades. This small number of enlisted men was to become the core of other black squadrons forming at Tuskegee and Maxwell Fields in Alabama -- the famed Tuskegee Airmen.
The Tuskeegee Airmen of World War II fame began with black trainees at Chanute Air Station. Here training began of the 'Red Tails' the came to fame in the Italian Theater of the war.
History of the Tuskeegee Airmen
The Chanute Air Museum collects, preserves, exhibits and interprets aviation and aerospace artifacts. Special emphasis is directed to the life and accomplishments of Octave Chanute, Chanute Field/Chanute Air Force Base and its technical training programs, the history of Illinois aviation, and the community of Rantoul, Illinois.
For more details, see my tip.
- Pros:Great Museum
- Cons:It's a long drive from anywhere
It was my idea to take a day and head over here. Nobody was particularly interested, but I've been interested in Octave... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Rantoul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "If you're passing through, it's worth the stop"
- "Why the #@? would anyone travel to Rantoul?"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rantoul
- 3 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Rantoul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rantoul
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 90 reviews, 221 photos, 7 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues