"Small Town America" Momence by Toughluck
Momence Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
Downtown (if you need a name) of Momence. It was Sunday, the place was closed tighter than a can of paint. But we found a wonderful cafe
In full flood, but not overflowing it's banks, the Kankakee River shows no signs of the hidden 'reef' that streatches for 7 miles (11 km) up stream. Once a virtual dam, holding back 500,000 acres of water, creating the largest wetland in North America, north of the Everglades.
From their home page: Located 50 Miles due south of Chicago and 15 miles east of the Kankakee/Bradley/Bourbonnais metropolitan area, Momence area residents enjoy their rural surroundings as well as close proximity to many urban amenities.
The City of Momence has a population of approximately 3,200, with the surrounding Momence and Ganeer townships providing an additional 7,500 people to the immediate area. The population of Kankakee County in its entirety is approximately 103,800 residents.
Located between two parts of the Kankakee River is a city park. On a cold January day, it was vacant and dreary. On a warm spring day, I can see the kids and families enjoying the rushing river.
- Pros:Small Town, minimal services, Grand River nearby
- In a nutshell:You have to work to get here, enjoy what's to be found.
Along IL 1, between the two bridges over the Kankakee River. An authentic cabin built during Momence’s 150th anniversary... more travel advice
Small place, with a wonderfully friendly atmosphere. Simple but good food. It was Sunday, and they closed at 2 pm. We... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Momence Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Momence
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Momence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Momence
Photos in MomenceSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 86 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 167 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 137 photos, 11 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues