"Witness the ghosts of history floating by." Cairo by Toughluck
Cairo Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 21 photos
The park is the southern tip of Illinois and is formed by the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. History has passed this place throughout the centuries.
The 1st steamboat on the western waters was in this vicinity when the New Madrid earthquake shattered the silence, sending the river out of it's banks. Whole loops of the river reversed directions.
Abraham Lincoln floated past this point on a raft taking produce south to New Orleans for sale. It would be his first experience in the slave holding part of the nation.
The American Revolution arrived when George Rogers Clark and his company of soldiers rounded the point heading to St. Louis and conquest of the British posts on the eastern shore of the Mississippi River.
Cairo built ironclads for the American Civil War (War Between the States) and the Union Armies floated south on the Mississippi River from St. Louis and other points driving a wedge between the eastern and western states of the Confederacy.
First picture: Topographic map of the river joining. Note the town of Cairo is just on the left top edge of the map. In... more travel advice
The Mississippi River, derived from the old Ojibwe word misi-ziibi meaning 'great river' (gichi-ziibi 'big river' at its... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 6 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 92 reviews, 240 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 27 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues