"Historic and modern - well mixed." Alton by Toughluck
Alton Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 46 photos
Alton is located above the junction of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers and below the confluence of the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. It is a good location to enjoy the Great River Road on the Mississippi River as well as the parks and trails on the lower Illinois River. St. Louis, Missouri is an hour drive south. We actually spend the day in St. Louis at the Arch (Jefferson National Expansion Memorial) and had dinner back in Alton, without having a busy day. We also go lost finding our way out of St. Louis, -- because -- we wanted to go through the northern suburbs to cross the flood plain between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. It was a fun day, as getting lost is never a problem, just the best way to find the 'scenic route'.
First written in the journals of Marquette and other French explorers. The Great Lynx has been created just upstream... more travel advice
While a small museum, it provides access to viewing the Melvin Price Lock and Dam activities and lots of hands on... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Alton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Gentle Giant"
- "Scenic and Historic River Town"
- "Historic and modern - well mixed."
- "Antique hunting & the Legend of the Piasa"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alton
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Alton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alton
Photos in AltonSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 90 reviews, 221 photos, 7 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues
Latest Alton hotel reviews
- Days Inn Alton (1900 Homer Adams Parkway.)
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013