"Herbert Hoover National Historic Site" West Branch by Toughluck
West Branch Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 17 photos
Few Americans have known greater acclaim or more bitter criticism than Herbert Hoover. Born on August 10, 1874, Hoover was the son of a Quaker blacksmith, orphaned at an early age, and achieved international success as a mining engineer and world-wide gratitude as "The Great Humanitarian" who fed a billion people in 57 countries during and after World War I.
Within a few short months after being elected 31st President of the United States, in a 1928 landslide, the global hero had become a scapegoat in his own land. Even today, Hoover remains indelibly linked with the Great Depression that put millions of his countrymen out of work in the 1930's. Hoover's once bright reputation was put in shambles, yet he refused to fade away.
The visitor center is an easy way to start your visit. You'll find a lot of information about Hoover and his times. The... more travel advice
The Hoovers lived on the edge of town. A part of that town from the 1880's exist in a street of homes (now offices) that... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
West Branch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIRTHPLACE OF AN UNCOMMON MAN FOR UNCOMMON TIMES"
- "Herbert Hoover National Historic Site"
- "Basaic West Branch/Herbert Hoover Page"
- "Really about Springdale...."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Branch
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to West Branch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Branch
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 90 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 41 reviews, 159 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues