"Entry into Geogia" Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park by Toughluck
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 340 photos
Chickamauga became the first major battle in Georgia for the control of the south. Federal Troops were moving south towards Atlanta. The Army of the Mississippi (Confederate) was seeking to block them at the passes through the mountains. Here, the armies clashed and the rebels felt the thrill of victory as they pushed the Federal north into Chattanooga. There, they would sit for months, seeking to move supplies into a city surrounded by nature (Tennessee River and southern Appalachians) and by the Rebel Army.
To reach the heart of Georgia, the Union had to first cross the State of Tennessee, secure a supply line through a mountainous terrain, that was cut by large rivers. Once over these hurtles, they would have to drive the Confederate Army from any positions of resistance. The surprise move by the rebels, caught the Federals off guard. When miss information caused a hole to appear in the Union lines, the Rebels drove it home and pushed the Federals off the field and north out of Georgia.
- Pros:Convoluted actions, best seen on the ground.
- Cons:Traffic on this side of Chattanooga is crazy.
- In a nutshell:May ancestors fought on this field, it was personally moving.
Scattered through out the battlefield are monuments to the troops that fought here. more travel advice
Here, the Federal forces held back the Confederate onslaught, while the bulk of the troops fled north to Chattanooga and... more travel advice
Toughluck's Related Pages
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The two battles"
- "Where the Civil War Recoiled Eastward"
- "CHICKAMAUGA – THE WESTERN CATACLYSM"
- "chickamauga national military park"
- "Entry into Geogia"
- "The battle where no one wanted it."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- Wrote a Review Tour Stop #1 - Monuments in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tour Stop #1 - Monuments"
- created a Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Travelogue "Canons of the Civil War"
- Posted in Travel Montana Forum "Re: Camping trip with a five and..."
Photos in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military ParkSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 92 reviews, 240 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 98 photos, 6 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 9 travelogues