"Little Battle with big results" Pea Ridge National Military Park by Toughluck
Pea Ridge National Military Park Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 60 photos
Beginning of the second day, the rebel forces of Gen. Van Dorn, emerged from the woods, over-running the batteries of cannon around Elkhorn Tavern. Day one had started as a strategic win over the Union forces of Gen. Curtis, as unseen, the the columns of men in Grey moved around Pea Ridge. It ended in rout as Gen. McCullough tried to overcome the poor roads around the ridge, thus exposing his men to Union troops watching the rear of the Union positions.
Day two again started with rebel gains. Surprised by the size of the Rebel army, the Union troops are pushed back across barren farm fields on this winter day. But the same open fields halts the Confederate advance. Lack of supplies and wornout men, lead to a withdrawal order to save the Confederate fighting force of western Arkansas.
- Pros:The scenery looks much as it did in 1862 on the day of the battle.
- Cons:Don't look for all the monuments of the bigger eastern battlefields.
Focal point of day 2. From the woods to the north, the Rebel yell stirred the Union batteries in this open field.... more travel advice
The Confederate Troops under Gen. McCullough's command, turned south around Pea Ridge to catch up with the head of the... more travel advice
Written Mar 17, 2010
Pea Ridge National Military Park
Written Mar 25, 2012
Battle at Pea Ridge Arkansas
Toughluck's Related Pages
Pea Ridge National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Battle That Saved Missouri for the Union"
- "Saving Missouri"
- "Pea Ridge National Military Park"
- "Basaic Pea Ridge National Military Park Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pea Ridge National Military Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Pea Ridge National Military Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pea Ridge National Military Park
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Pea Ridge National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pea Ridge National Military Park
Photos in Pea Ridge National Military ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 92 reviews, 240 photos, 9 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 27 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues