"Browsing Lesvos: piku's memory card" Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos by pikuu
Lesvos Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 342 photos
These brimful wildernesses...
This is in nature of Lesvos that on the wilderness of the sea, mountains and neverending olive groves suddenly appears - nobody knows from where - beautiful monastery, quiet village, Roman aqueduct, almost dry stream full of brave turtles, local tavern with tremendous yummy seafood, lonely donkey waiting patiently or small cat threatening and frightened at the same time.
These discoveries are so unexpected and at the same time so brillant that all the Lesvos wilderness are starting to shine. And this impression remains in memory! Lesvos wilderness is not empty. It's full of small and bigger, sparkling treasures.
As usual in my tips and descriptions you will find mostly opinions, associations, reflections than practical info with addresses and directions. I'm sure these helpful details are better explained in the other VT tips.
As usually during my trips also on Lesvos I had some book-companion. This is time - after long thinking - I took "The History of Byzantium" by Cyril Mango. THis is not the list of important facts and dates. It is lively told story about everyday life in this ancient/medieval empire. This is story about society, cities, work, authority, art and architecture. This picturesque Byzantine world not ended in the time of Turkish invasion (XV century). Its traces has survived up to now. And one (like me) can look for them in Lesvos monasteries, small towns, monuments, art (icononography) and even in local cooking! :)
Very often Greek geographical names are differently translated. I suppose that this is related to various types of changing Greek sounds for Latin letters. So I decided to use uniform vocabulary taken from the most detailed map of Lesvos published by the Road Editions (212) in Athens.
Lesvos isn't a snorkeling paradise. But it doesn't mean that you should leave you equipment home. Not at all! Although... more travel advice
Some of my observations about transport in Lesvos. ------ 1. Generally about driving around 90% of Lesvos is... more travel advice
pikuu's Related Pages
Lesvos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Browsing Lesvos: piku's memory card"
- "Lesvos - in the Aegean sea"
- "Most colorful island of Greece"
- "Lesvos island"
- "Petra, Lesvos"
- "Lesvos by Marianna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lesvos
- Hotels in Lesvos
- Transportation in Lesvos
- Nightlife in Lesvos
- Restaurants in Lesvos
- Shopping in Lesvos
- Warnings and Dangers in Lesvos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lesvos
- 26 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Lesvos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lesvos
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2010 in Krakow,..."
- updated a Lesvos Travel Page "Browsing Lesvos: piku's memory card"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Panagia Glykofilousa - the icon of Petra"
- Wrote a Review Lesvos underwaterium in Lesvos Sports & Outdoors
- Commented on one of Ben-UK's Lesvos travel pages
Photos in LesvosSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 40 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Andalucía Intro, 15 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Wojewodztwo Lubelskie Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pieniny Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Uppsala Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Moniz Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue