"Browsing Lesvos: piku's memory card" Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos by pikuu

Lesvos Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 342 photos

These brimful wildernesses...

This is in nature of Lesvos that on the wilderness of the sea, mountains and neverending olive groves suddenly appears - nobody knows from where - beautiful monastery, quiet village, Roman aqueduct, almost dry stream full of brave turtles, local tavern with tremendous yummy seafood, lonely donkey waiting patiently or small cat threatening and frightened at the same time.

These discoveries are so unexpected and at the same time so brillant that all the Lesvos wilderness are starting to shine. And this impression remains in memory! Lesvos wilderness is not empty. It's full of small and bigger, sparkling treasures.

As usual in my tips and descriptions you will find mostly opinions, associations, reflections than practical info with addresses and directions. I'm sure these helpful details are better explained in the other VT tips.

Footnote One:
As usually during my trips also on Lesvos I had some book-companion. This is time - after long thinking - I took "The History of Byzantium" by Cyril Mango. THis is not the list of important facts and dates. It is lively told story about everyday life in this ancient/medieval empire. This is story about society, cities, work, authority, art and architecture. This picturesque Byzantine world not ended in the time of Turkish invasion (XV century). Its traces has survived up to now. And one (like me) can look for them in Lesvos monasteries, small towns, monuments, art (icononography) and even in local cooking! :)

Footnote Two:
Very often Greek geographical names are differently translated. I suppose that this is related to various types of changing Greek sounds for Latin letters. So I decided to use uniform vocabulary taken from the most detailed map of Lesvos published by the Road Editions (212) in Athens.

• Last visit to Lesvos: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2007

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Thank you for the excellent tour of Lesvos and all its secret and hidden attractions! You can't go too far wrong if you are by the sea, and the Anaxos-Petra coastal walk looks great!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Fantastic, you have made me want to re-visit Lesbos. We looked for theRoman aqueduct without success. Beautiful cats!!!! And we did re-visit this May! Fantastic island.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Hi Pikuu, already met you at Sharm-El-Sheikh, and impressed by your Lesvos VT Pages, you did wonderful job, excellent tips, super pics, cya greets RoyJava

• StefanosS's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 12:26 AM

You reached the core of the heart of Greece! Congrats! I recalled my memories of 3 visits to Lesvos island. Just one correction: "Glykofilousa" :-))

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2007 at 5:15 AM

Wspaniały i dokładny opis. Również spędziłem troche czase w tym lecie w Grecji, ale o tym miejscu nie slyszalem.:)

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 4:16 AM

Dziekuje za kartke. I pozdrawiam. Chiara zielonooka;)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 4:14 AM

Your observations are fascinating. Give your reader the place's feel and taste. Love night time geological shot..sweet stone church, goat on the stone street and octopuses hanging on the clothesline. Wonderful images..rich dialogue.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 8:48 AM

All my compliments on your splendid work here!! I can't believe you did it in such a short time :) Your trip seemed to be a wonderful adventure with a wide variety of pleasant activities... Very nice! :))

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Great page. Baklava is my fav Greek dessert :)

• Sep 12, 2013 at 5:22 AM

My dear friend,no doubt Baklava is certainly a Turkish dessert

• paragianna75's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 12:12 AM

Hey where did you find the turtles??? They are so cute!! I didnt know about their existence...next time I visit Lesvos I am going to search for them :)

pikuu

“Chasing sheep is best left to shephards”

Badges & Stats in Lesvos