Madeira Island Transportation Tips by pikuu Top 5 Page for this destination
Madeira Island Transportation: 49 reviews and 76 photos
Funchal: the way from Santa Clara Convent
The best road from Moniz to Funchal is via Seixal, Sao Vicente and next by motorway (almost from Ribeira Brava). BY CAR it should take no more than 1 hour (obviously using the 3 km Encumeada tunnel). If you are going through mountains add 30-40 minutes).
Unfortunately there is really poor bus connection (september2006). The Rodoeste line has about 3-4 buses daily. First, give up from bus going along south coast via Calheta and Ponta do Pargo. The trip can last 3-4 hours.
Second and the main challange is that the time of buses does not match the tourists' needs.
Morning bus is starting to early (about 6.30 am), so you will miss the hotel breakfest. ANd next is to late (about 1 pm), so you are in Funchal about 2.30 pm and you lost the hours before noon.
The last bus from Funchal is at 7 pm. The time of bus trip between Funchal and Moniz is different. Once 1 hour 15 min was enough. But it happened that the trip lasted 2.45. So reserve about 1.45 for bus Funchal - Moniz.
Th Moniz bus stop is located near the police station (other stop is situated near the church) and in Funchal near the big balloon (Avenida do Mar). Be prepared that during the travel you will be change the bus. In Sao Vicente is the change-point for buses going to/from Sao Jorge and to/from Porto Moniz. Sometimes bus from Moniz takes the people from Sao Jorge, sometimes vice versa. The information about change you will hear from bus driver.
The bus-stops (called 'paragem')are very common and don't be suprised when bus turns from the main road and goes 20 minutes to the stops surrounded by 2 old houses. ANd do not expect the timetables hanging in the bus shelters. About arrivals and departures ask (in Moniz) in tourist office (friendly and well-prepared girl is working there. thanx for help) and (in Funchal) in Rodoeste kiosk (green one located near the big balloon bus stop - English can be not enough to get info ;)
The ticket PM - Funchal costs about 4 Euro.
My Porto Moniz page
More Reviews (26)
- See All Porto Moniz - not only natural pools
- See All For yummy fish or/and a pint of local...
- See All Madeira in the interNET
pikuu's Related Pages
Madeira Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madeira Island - Sculpted by Gods"
- "Madeira - Small archipelago of volcanic orgin."
- "Madeira: spectacular island of tunnels"
- "ISLAND OF FLOWERS"
- "ilha da madeira"
- "An island of flowers and stunning scenery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madeira Island
- Hotels in Madeira Island
- Transportation in Madeira Island
- Nightlife in Madeira Island
- Restaurants in Madeira Island
- Shopping in Madeira Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Madeira Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Avissawella Hotels
- Klampenborg Hotels
- Lord Howe Island
- Épernay Hotels
- Ko Khai Nok Hotels
Badges & Stats in Madeira Island
- 27 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Madeira Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madeira Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2010 in Krakow,..."
- Commented on one of Toshioohsako's Madeira Island travel pages
- updated a Madeira Island Travel Page "Madeira: spectacular island of tunnels"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Madeira: architecto"
- Wrote a Review Porto Moniz - not only natural pools in Madeira Island Things to Do
Photos in Madeira IslandSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 40 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Andalucía Intro, 15 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Wojewodztwo Lubelskie Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pieniny Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Uppsala Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Moniz Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue