"Sipaliwini district" Distrikt Sipaliwini by theo1006
Distrikt Sipaliwini Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 85 photos
Sipaliwini district is by far Suriname's largest district, and consists mainly of sparsely inhabited forest. We made three trips by airplane and one by 4-wheel drive into Sipaliwini. It was a bit expensive but highly rewarding.
The Tourist Information Center in Paramaribo has a free map on which the main destinations in Sipaliwini are indicated. Each destination is the exclusive domain of a certain tour operator.
METS runs (1) Awaradam, (2) Palumeu, (3) Kasikasima top.
Stinasu runs (1) Raleigh falls, (2) Brownsberg in Brokopondo district.
Dubois & Dubois runs Blanche Marie.
There are other operators and destinations we have no experience with.
Most tours are priced between USD 400 and EUR 400, so how to choose?
(a) If you value your comfort, go with METS to Awaradam or Palumeu. Their 'hotel function' is best developed, they have a host of local personnel caring for your needs (like your own hot water bottle for morning coffee at 7 AM).
(b) If you want to see a more or less traditional village, you have the choice of a maroon village at Awaradam or a native American village at Palumeu. The other destinations have no settlements nearby.
(c) If you want to see animals, you have a better chance at one of the other destinations.
(d) To Blanche Marie you do not fly. The journey by forest road is an experience in itself.
(e) Kasikasima is for those who like some strenuous hiking. We did not take this tour (for lack of time and money, we like hiking). See Kasikasima on the METS website.
(f) The Raleigh falls tour includes a three hour hike to Voltz mountain, plus half an hour climbing it. Birdwatchers may be guided to the right spot.
(g) For Brownsberg you do not need to take a tour. You can drive there in your hired 4-wheel drive. Bring a hammock if you want to stay over and avoid the stiff price for a lodge. See our Brokopondo page.
See our tips to do.
- Pros:The place for nature fans.
- Cons:Expensive, as to most destinations you fly.
- In a nutshell:Forest, rivers and rapids
Another highlight of our Marowijne tour was the forest hike along Sada creek to Sada waterfall. From Tjongtjong we... more travel advice
As stated elsewhere, Dritabiki is the seat of the “granman” of the Aucaners. Unfortunately we did not meet him, as he... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Distrikt Sipaliwini Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Distrikt Sipaliwini
- 12 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Distrikt Sipaliwini?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Distrikt Sipaliwini
Photos in Distrikt SipaliwiniSee All Photos (82)
Videos in Distrikt SipaliwiniSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 55 reviews, 290 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (22)
Top Distrikt Sipaliwini hotels
- Foengoe Eiland Hotels
- See nearby hotels