"Suriname, Helen's country of birth" Suriname by theo1006
Suriname Travel Guide: 349 reviews and 1,068 photos
Helen was born and raised in Suriname. In 1970 she left for French Guiana, and later lived in Martinique and Paris. She has been back in Suriname for a short visit a few times only. Whereas Theo had never been in Suriname yet. So around Christmas 2006 we planned an extensive holiday of two months, for Theo to discover and Helen to rediscover Suriname.
We hired a car, sedan or 4-wheel drive, and toured the districts that can be reached by car. We also took several guided tours to Suriname's interior. Of course we were based in Paramaribo. As there are already many tips on Paramaribo, we attempt not to duplicate those.
On this Suriname page you will find some tips on Suriname in general. For more tips visit our district pages listed here. Our Suriname travelogues show some pictures we could not post on our tips.
If you are interested in our experience of the Suriname forest, go to our Distrikt Sipaliwini page.
A tour east to Albina by sedan car took us through Distrikt Commewijne and Distrikt Marowijne. At Albina we crossed the Marowijne river to French Guiana without customs formalities.
Going west to Nieuw-Nickerie we saw Distrikt Saramacca, Distrikt Coronie and Distrikt Nickerie. At Nieuw-Nickerie we paid a very short visit to Springlands in Guyana.
The 4WD we used to reach the more interesting places in Distrikt Para and Distrikt Brokopondo.
- Pros:Great country for an active holiday
- Cons:More expensive than Suriname used to be
- In a nutshell:Still a frontier country
Suriname is an ethnically mixed society. After the Europeans arrived here, people from several corners of the world were... more travel advice
To get around in the northern districts of Suriname, an ordinary sedan car suffices, although in places the roads are in... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Suriname Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "6 months Beautiful Surinam"
- "ATLC's roots in Suriname"
- "Suriname, lots of green."
- "Talking Dutch far away"
- "A Trip to my neighbouring Country SURINAME"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suriname
- Hotels in Suriname
- Transportation in Suriname
- Nightlife in Suriname
- Restaurants in Suriname
- Shopping in Suriname
- Warnings and Dangers in Suriname
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suriname
- 63 Reviews
- 322 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Suriname?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suriname
Photos in SurinameSee All Photos (322)
Videos in SurinameSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 55 reviews, 290 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue