"OTBP: West Java's South Coast" West Java Province by theo1006
West Java Province Travel Guide: 779 reviews and 2,003 photos
In 2005, when we lived in Bandung, we made several trips to the coast south of Bandung. Recently, in 2008, we visited again coming from Salatiga. We like to explore the remoter regions of Java. Few foreign visitors make it to West-Java's south coast, because it takes four to six hours to get there from Bandung. You need your own transport, or to hire a car with driver for several days, or do it the adventurous and time-consuming way with local transport.
In the OTBP tips we have highlighted the main attractions. Not counting the quietude and leasurely pace of the whole region, which are attractions by themselves when you have enough of the hustle and bustle of the cities.
As may be expected, accommodation is scarce. We made an inventory of the best available. For food you have to make do with what is available (generally mi rebus, nasi goreng, or rice with fried fish), or bring your own.
Closer to Bandung: If you are looking for things to do closer to Bandung, see our Garut page.
From Bandung there are three main routes to the south coast:
(1) Via Pangalengan to Rancabuaya, four to five hours by car
(2) Via Cicalengka, Leles and Cikajang to Pameungpeuk, five to six hours by car.
Or you may want to take the more time-consuming route to Pameungpeuk via Majalaya and Samarang, and visit Kamojang geysers on the way, see our Garut page.
(3) Via Garut and Bantarkalong to Cipatujah, also five to six hours.
As a base for exploration Pameungpeuk is to be preferred, because the town is located centrally and has the best hotel. On our last trip we went to Rancabuaya and drove all the way along the coast to Pangandaran.
The government is actively developing and opening up the south coast region. The coastal road has been upgraded and is now generally in good condition. Narrow steel bridges dating from colonial times have mostly been replaced with wide concrete ones; on our last trip we found work in progress to replace the last one.
Another sign of progress is the new, excellent ANB Hotel in Pameungpeuk.
However, the region still remains off-the-beaten-path. Even domestic tourists only come in big numbers on the main holidays (Lebaran and Xmas).
Unique features of Karang Paranje beach are the rock formation after which it is named, and the estuary of Ci Baregbeg... more travel advice
You find rocks at much of West-Java's south coast, but near Pameungpeuk there are long stretches of sandy beach,... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
West Java Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OTBP: West Java's South Coast"
- "Jawa Barat / West Java Province"
- "West Java, a SUNDANESE PARAHYANGAN"
- "Off beaten path"
- "Priangan - beautiful rice terraces and nature"
- "West Java"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Java Province
- Hotels in West Java Province
- Transportation in West Java Province
- Nightlife in West Java Province
- Restaurants in West Java Province
- Shopping in West Java Province
- Warnings and Dangers in West Java Province
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Java Province
- 22 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to West Java Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Java Province
- Posted in Travel Surabaya Forum "Re: Speifics on Bromo"
- updated a West Java Province Travel Page "OTBP: West Java's South Coast"
- Uploaded a Video to West Java Province
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kampung Dukuh, a traditional village"
- Wrote a Review Karang Paranje beach in West Java Province Off The Beaten Path
Videos in West Java ProvinceSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 66 reviews, 327 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 23 reviews, 153 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue