Indonesia Favorite Tips by theo1006
Indonesia Favorites: 284 reviews and 250 photos
Favorite thing: Java and Bali are densely populated. On public holidays the popular tourist destinations may be crowded with local tourists. The traffic jams near Puncak Pass on these days are notorious. If you prefer not being part of a crowd, consult this list of 'bank' holidays. These official holidays are decreed by the government, but the decree does not include school holidays. For these I give an estimate.
(9) Monday thruough Friday 5...9 August. End of Muslim fast week. The end of the fast, Idul Fitri 1-2 Syawal 1433 H, is celebrated on Thursday and Friday. Around this week almost everyone in Java travels, and it is virtually impossible to get a plane or train ticket on short notice!!
(10) Saturday, 17 August. Independence Day, festivities on the days around this date.
(11) Saturday through Tuesday, 12...15 October. Long weekend with Muslim holiday Idul Adha 1434 H on Tuesday.
(12) Tuesday, 5 November. Muslim New Year 1435 H.
(13) Wednesday and Thursday 25-26 December. Christmas holidays.
The end-of-year school holidays probably will be from Saturday 21 December through Sunday 5 January.
(1) Wednesday 1 January. New Year's day.
(2) Tuesday, 14 January. Commemoration of Maulid Nabi Muhammad SAW (Birthday of the Prophet Muhammad).
(3) Friday, 31 January. Chinese New Year (Imlek) 2565.
(4) Monday, 31 March. Hindu New Year's day, Hari Raya Nyepi Saka 1936.
(5) Friday through Sunday 18-20 April. Good Friday and Easter weekend (Indonesia does not have an Easter Monday holiday).
(6) Thursday , 1 May. International Labour Day, Hari Buruh Internasional.
(7) Thursday, 15 May. Buddhist holiday Hari Raya Waisak 2558.
(8) Tuesday, 27 May. Muslim holiday Isra' Mi'raj Nabi Muhammad SAW (Ascension of the Prophet Muhammad).
(6) Thursday , 29 May. Ascension of Christ day.
School holidays are not dictated by the government. We guess they may be from Saturday 7 June through Sunday 13 July.
(9) Monday 28 July through Friday 1 August. Eid al Fitr holiday week. The end of Muslim fast, Idul Fitri 1-2 Syawal 1433 H, falls on Monday and Tuesday. The remainder of the week is an official holiday. From the previous Saturday until the end of the week including Sunday 3 August virtually everyone in Java travels, and it is impossible to get a plane or train ticket on short notice!!
(10) Sunday, 17 August. Independence Day, festivities on the days around this date.
(11) Sunday 5 October. Muslim holiday Idul Adha 1434 H (the Feast of Sacrifice).
(12) Saturday, 25 October. Muslim New Year, Muharram 1435 H.
(13) Thursday 25 December. Christmas Day.
The end-of-year school holidays probably will be from Saturday 20 December through Sunday 4 January.
Favorite thing: For those who have questions on the tourist Visa On Arrival for Indonesia, the most complete information can be found on the website of the Indonesian Embassy in the USA. Here are listed the countries of which the nationals can get a VOA, as well as the seaports and airports where it can be issued, as below. The quoted information was correct on the date of this update, 27 May 2010. You may want to check for yourself if there are any changes on
The cost for a 30-day visa on arrival is USD 25.-, and it is extendable at an immigration office once for the same price. Apply for an extension a week before your visa expires!
In accordance with the Regulation of Minister of Law and Human Right of the Republic of Indonesia Number: M.HH-01.GR.01.06, on January 12, 2010, citizen from 63 countries and 1 region are eligible for obtaining Visa on Arrival (VOA).
This visa can be obtained directly when you are landed at the certain airports and seaport in Indonesia regardless of the purpose of your visits (Business, Tourist, Social). The Visa on Arrival is not a work visa nor a visitation visa. Therefore, it can not be converted to obtain other immigration permits. The maximum stays permitted for the visa on arrival is 30 days. If you plan to stay longer than 30 days, you need to mention your intention to stay longer. Visa on Arrival can be extended for another 30 days.
The general requirements for Visa On Arrival are:
Expiration date of the applicant's passport must be at least 6 (six) months at the date of entry.
Round-trip airplane ticket
The fees for Visa On Arrival are:
Visa for stay up to 30 (thirty) days = US$ 25,-
Extention of stay for up to 30 (thirty) days = US$ 25,-
Those 63 countries and 1 region are as follows:
9. Czech Republic
40. New Zealand
50. Saudi Arabia
51. Slovak Republic
54. South Africa
55. South Korea
59. Taiwan, PRC
61. Timor Leste
62. Uni Arab Emirates
63. United Kingdom (British)
64. United States of America
List of Airports and Seaports that have facilities to issue VISA ON ARRIVAL
1. Sultan Iskandar Muda (in Banda Aceh, Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam)
2. Polonia (in Medan, North Sumatera)
3. Sultan Syarif Kasim II (in Pekanbaru, Riau)
4. Hang Nadim (in Batam, Riau Archipelago)
5. Minangkabau (in Padang, West Sumatera)
6. Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II (in Palembang, South Sumatera)
7. Soekarno-Hatta (in the Special Region of the Capital City of Jakarta)
8. Halim Perdana Kusuma (in the Special Region of the Capital City of Jakarta)
9. Husein Sastranegara (in Bandung, West Java)
10. Adi Sucipto (in Yogyakarta, Special Territory of Yogyakarta)
11. Ahmad Yani (in Semarang, Central Java)
12. Adi Sumarmo (in Surakarta (Solo), Central Java)
13. Ir. Juanda (in Surabaya, East Java)
14. Supadio (in Pontianak, West Kalimantan (Borneo))
15. Sepinggan (in Balikpapan, East Kalimantan (Borneo))
16. Sam Ratulangi (in Manado, North Sulawesi (Celebes))
17. Hasanuddin (in Makassar, South Sulawesi (Celebes))
18. Ngurah Rai (in Denpasar, Bali)
19. Selaparang (in Mataram, West Nusa Tenggara)
20. El Tari (in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara)
1. Sekupang (in Batam, Riau Archipelago)
2. Citra Tritunas (Harbor Bay) (in Batam, Riau Archipelago)
3. Nongsa (in Batam, Riau Archipelago)
4. Marina Teluk Senimba (in Batam, Riau Archipelago)
5. Batam Centre (in Batam, Riau Archipelago)
6. Bandar Bintan Telani Lagoi (in Tanjung Uban, Riau Archipelago)
7. Bandar Sri Udana Lobam (in Tanjung Uban, Riau Archipelago)
8. Sri Bintan Pura (in Tanjung Pinang, Riau Archipelago)
9. Tanjung Balai Karimun (in Tanjung Balai Karimun, Riau Archipelago)
10. Belawan (in Belawan, North Sumatera)
11. Sibolga (in Sibolga, North Sumatera)
12. Yos Sudarso (in Dumai, Riau)
13. Teluk Bayur (in Padang, West Sumatera)
14. Tanjung Priok (in the Special Region of the Capital City of Jakarta)
15. Tanjung Mas (in Semarang, Central Java)
16. Padang Bai (in Karangasem, Bali)
17. Benoa (in Badung, Bali)
18. Bitung (in Bitung, North Sulawesi)
19. Soekarno-Hatta (in Makassar, South Sulawesi)
20. Pare-Pare (in Pare-Pare, South Sulawesi)
21. Maumere (in Maumere, East Nusa Tenggara)
22. Tenau (in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara)
23. Jayapura (in Jayapura, Papua)
C. Other Entry
1. Etikong (in Etikong, West Kalimantan (Borneo))
More Reviews (4)
theo1006's Related Pages
Indonesia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guess, what is the fifth element ?"
- "INDONESIA : EXPERIENCE THE UNTOLD STORIES"
- " The country on the EQUATOR LINES "
- "Backpacking Indonesia: Hard Work But Big Rewards"
- "BALI 2004 - the initial bite from the travel bug!"
- "Pleasant ride"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indonesia
- Hotels in Indonesia
- Transportation in Indonesia
- Nightlife in Indonesia
- Restaurants in Indonesia
- Shopping in Indonesia
- Warnings and Dangers in Indonesia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Polis Hotels
- Portage Lakes Hotels
- Nikko Hotels
- Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park Hotels
- Grand Cayman
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Favorites
- Seychelles Favorites
- Pacific Coast Highway / Highway 1
- Nha Trang Favorites
- Toronto Favorites
- Puerto Princesa City Favorites
- Pattaya Favorites
- West Los Angeles Favorites
- Atlantic City Favorites
- Downtown Seattle
- Myrtle Beach Favorites
- Torremolinos Favorites
Badges & Stats in Indonesia
- 726 Reviews
- 3,446 Photos
- 565 Forum posts
- 62 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Indonesia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indonesia
Videos in IndonesiaSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 61 reviews, 317 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (24)
Top Indonesia hotels
- Jakarta Hotels
- 1334 Reviews - 2607 Photos
- Bali Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 445 Photos
- Pulau Batam Hotels
- 406 Reviews - 1061 Photos
- Bandung Hotels
- 310 Reviews - 511 Photos
- Lombok Hotels
- 406 Reviews - 1060 Photos
- Jimbaran Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Medan Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 582 Photos
- Kuta Hotels
- 333 Reviews - 721 Photos
- Yogyakarta Hotels
- 734 Reviews - 1878 Photos
- Surabaya Hotels
- 192 Reviews - 397 Photos
- Ubud Hotels
- 505 Reviews - 1241 Photos
- Padang Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Solo Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 412 Photos
- Pulau Bintan Hotels
- 457 Reviews - 1170 Photos
- Bandung Hotels
- 221 Reviews - 507 Photos