"Lamphun province and town" Lamphun by theo1006
Lamphun Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 127 photos
We rented a small car for a day in Chiang Mai (only THB 1000 low season rate), and made a tour including Lamphun. We selected some attractions from the TAT Lamphun info booklet, in no way could we see everything. So here are a few tips that are not yet on other Lamphun pages.
Our visit happened to be in the rainy season, after Northern Thailand had suffered some flooding. Above is a picture of the still very high water level of the Mae Kuang.
Back at home doing some research on the internet, we found that Lamphun was the capital of one of Thailand's oldest kingdoms, Haripunchai or Haripunjaya. It predates Chiang Rai, capital of the Lan Na kingdom, by maybe 600 years. According to legend Lamphun was founded in the Buddhist year 1204, i.e. 661 AD. The first ruler was legendary queen Chamma Thewi, a memorial of whom adorns the western entrance to the old city centre.
But modern research places the foundation of Lamphun in 750 or even 950 AD. However that may be, the final year of Haripunchai is certain. The founder of the Lan Na kingdom, king Meng Rai, conquered Lamphun in 1281 AD.
Approaching Lamphun from the north along road #1147 we drove to through flat country except for a lone hill on our left,... more travel advice
When you go by train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, at 1.5 hours from your destination you pass trough the longest train... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Lamphun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lamphun ancient city"
- "Lamphun famous for Longan & Beautiful Ladies"
- "Lamphun – Wat Phra That Haripunchai"
- "Lamphun province and town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lamphun
- Hotels in Lamphun
- Transportation in Lamphun
- Restaurants in Lamphun
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lamphun
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Lamphun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamphun
Photos in LamphunSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 61 reviews, 317 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (24)
Latest Lamphun hotel reviews
- Gassan Khuntan Golf & Resort
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 31, 2010