"Blitar, city and regency" Blitar by theo1006
Blitar Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 216 photos
Blitar should be on anyone's "to visit" list who has already been to Yogya and Bromo. With three prime attractions in the neighbourhood, apart from being president Soekarno's town of birth, we wonder why we did not discover Blitar sooner.
(1) Kelud volcano (which administratively lies in Kediri regency) is easier accessable than Merapi and not less impressive than Bromo.
(2) The Penataran hindu temple complex is the largest of East Java and full of interesting details.
(3) Wading through Embultuk cave south of Blitar was our best cave adventure yet.
Here follows a complete list of attractive sites, referring to the map photographed at the parking of Penataran swimming pool. Boldface are the sites we visited so far.
Pendopo Kabupaten Blitar (A, government house, OTBP) 0 km
Istana Gebang (not on the map, Soekarno's childhood home, MUST) 1 km
North of town
Makam Bung Karno (B, Soekarno's Mausoleum, MUST) 2 km
Kawasan Wisata Penataran (C, Penataran Tourist Area, MUST) 14 km (Penataran Temple Complex and Penataran Museum)
Candi Gambar Wetan (U, temple ruins amid plantation, OTBP) 20 km
Kelud Volcano (not on the map, in Kediri regency, MUST) 30 km
South of town
Candi Simping (S, temple ruins, OTBP) 10 km
Monumen Trisula (L, Suharto era monument, OTBP) 35 km
Goa Embultuk (M, walk underground river!, MUST) 40 km
Pantai Tambakrejo (H. popular beach, MUST) 45 km
Pantai Pangi (not on the map, secluded beach, OTBP) 45 km
West of town
Candi Mleri (T, sacred site, OTBP) 20 km
East of town
Bendungan Serut (D, dam, OTBP) 7 km
Bendungan Wlingi Raya (E, dam, OTBP) 10 km
Candi Watu Tumpuk (V, temple ruins, OTBP) 30 km
Bendungan Lahor (F, dam, OTBP) 40 km
Candi Sawentar (P, temple, OTBP) 10 km
Makam Mbah Jugo (O, sacred grave, OTBP) 25 km
Northeast of town
Candi Kotes (Q, temple, OTBP) 20 km
Candi Plumbangan (R, temple, OTBP) 25 km
Telaga Nyunyur (G, lake, OTBP) 25 km
Petilasan Rambut Monte (N, historic site, OTBP) 30 km
Southeast of town
Lokasi Siraman Kyai Pradah (K, sacred bathing place, OTBP) 10 km
Pantai Serang (I, popular beach, OTBP) 45 km
Pantai Wediombo (not on the map, white sand beach, OTBP) 45 km
Pantai Jolosutro (J, quiet beach, OTBP) 50 km
Blitar is the town where Soekarno, Indonesia's first president was born and is buried. Therefore many Indonesians come here for a visit to his parents' home, now a museum called Istana Gebang, and his tomb, known as Makam Bung Karno or Makam Proklamator (because Soekarno is also honoured as the 'proclamator' of Indonesia's independence on August 17, 1945).
- Pros:A variety of top attractions
- Cons:Off the usual tourist route
- In a nutshell:Should be put on the map
The historic site (Kekunaan) Mleri is also referred to as Candi Mleri, but this is a misnomer. It is not a temple, but a... more travel advice
On a road trip from Blitar to Malang we visited several OTBP attractions. Kotes temples consists of two sites, Candi... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Blitar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a lovely historical town"
- "Blitar, city and regency"
- "BLITAR Nurses-home Of Kediri & Malang"
- "Places to See in Blitar"
- "VISIT BLITAR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Blitar
- Hotels in Blitar
- Transportation in Blitar
- Nightlife in Blitar
- Restaurants in Blitar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Blitar
- 28 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Blitar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blitar
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 66 reviews, 327 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 28 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue