"Dieng - the gods have left" Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng by theo1006
Pegunungan Dieng Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 204 photos
An Indonesian friend had warned me: Dieng sudah rusak (Dieng is no more what it used to be). Yet I wanted to revisit Dieng after 30 years. So I was in for a bit of disappointment.
Pristine nature is gone. The temples which used to lie in a desolate plain are now hemmed in by potato fields. Small Dieng village has sprawled. Former forested slopes are now all terraced. The lakes are being pumped for irrigation, some almost empty at the end of the dry season. Geothermal pipes run all over the plateau.
This picture I find symbolic. The white mosque reigns over the place, the Hindu gods have long left the reservation set aside for them.
The climate has not changed. Dieng is still best visited in the dry season (Take note of our transportation tip). The nights are cold, and when it is raining the days too are clammy and chilly.
There still is no good accommodation, most visitors prefer to stay in Wonosobo.
Dieng still is Central Java in miniature. You have temples, mountains, lakes, volcanic activity, waterfalls, all close together.
And good-natured, hard-working Javanese, who use every natural asset in their struggle to make a living.
- Pros:Lots of things to do and to see
- Cons:Bad climate, poor accommodation
- In a nutshell:Central Java in miniature
It is on the map at Bu Jono's, so we thought to go there: a waterfall north of Sileri crater. The road is good up to... more travel advice
There is no accommodation with running hot water in Dieng. Although, if you stay at bu Jono's, on your request they... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Pegunungan Dieng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Java's Mordor"
- "Dieng Plateau - Land of Volcanos and Goddess"
- "Abode of the Gods"
- "Dieng - the gods have left"
- "Legendary Dieng"
- "The mystic Plateau-Dieng Plateau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pegunungan Dieng
- Hotels in Pegunungan Dieng
- Transportation in Pegunungan Dieng
- Restaurants in Pegunungan Dieng
- Shopping in Pegunungan Dieng
- Warnings and Dangers in Pegunungan Dieng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pegunungan Dieng
- 9 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Pegunungan Dieng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pegunungan Dieng
Photos in Pegunungan DiengSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 61 reviews, 317 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue