"Wonderful Flores" Pulau Flores by theo1006
Pulau Flores Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 225 photos
The last leg of our 2011 island-hopping trip took us through the island Flores, from Labuan Bajo to Ende and the Kelimutu coloured lakes. The main west to east Trans Flores Road connects the cities Labuan-Bajo, Ruteng, Bajawa, Ende, Maumere and Larantuka. This is the road overland tours follow. It was generally passable, with some parts in poor repair and at others work in progress to widen the road.
Near Labuan-Bajo we diverted from the Trans Flores Road to visit Nunang village at Sano Nggoang lake. And from Bajawa to Ende we made a detour via Riung. The condition of the road to Nunang was terrible, the 24 km distance from Bambor took us 2.5 hours! The roads to Riung were better, but still had long stretches full of potholes.
For tips and travelogues see the pages of the places where we stayed (below).
Labuan Bajo of course is the base for tours to Komodo and Rinca islands. In the region there are also some sites of natural and historic interest, among these the village Tobodo where petrified wood lies all around. Our Nunang experience you also find on our Labuan Bajo page.
Ruteng is a small hill town that most tourists only pass through. You need not stay in town to visit historic site Lale Lombong or Rana Mese crater lake as these lie on the main road. However if you spend time on them, the journey from Labuan Bajo to Bajawa becomes too long for one day.
Bajawa also lies at higher altitude, on a plain surrounded by mountains. From Bajawa one can visit several traditonal villages, two hot-water sources, and an interesting volcano nicknamed mini-Kelimutu.
Riung can be reached both from Bajawa and from Ende. It's main interest lies in the Marine Park off its coast, good for snorkeling and diving. There are also the Riung lizards, family of the komodo's.
Ende is the town nearest to the must-see Kelimutu coloured lakes. The town also features some sites of historic interest, and there are several traditional villages in its neighbourhood - of which we visited three.
theo1006's Related Pages
Pulau Flores Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flores, another beautiful Indonesia"
- "Exploring Flores: More Than Just Komodo Dragon"
- "FLORES, KOMODO & KELIMUTU NATIoNAL PARKS"
- "Komodo Dragon"
- "Wonderful Flores"
- "Flores Island"
- "FLORES INDONESIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Flores
- Hotels in Pulau Flores
- Transportation in Pulau Flores
- Restaurants in Pulau Flores
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Flores
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Flores
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Pulau Flores?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Flores
Photos in Pulau FloresSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 66 reviews, 327 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 23 reviews, 153 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue