"Jepara town and regency" Jepara by theo1006
Jepara Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 32 photos
There are several destinations in Indonesia with the name of Jepara. Danau Jepara is in Sumatra. This Jepara is in Central Java, at one hour's drive from Semarang.
Jepara is famous for two reasons. First, Jepara is the birthplace of R.A. Kartini, the Indonesian icon for women's rights; a Kartini pilgrimage would take you here and to Rembang where she died. Second, Jepara produces wooden furniture with fine carvings.
For tourists Jepara is also the closest approach to the Karimunjawa Islands in the Java Sea. The slow ferry "Muria" takes you there in 6 hours. (A fast boat from Semarang takes 3 hours, but it does not take cars.)
About 300 expats live in Jepara, many of them involved in the furniture industry. A few shops and restaurants cater to their tastes. There is a white sandy beach close by, and there are good swimming pools in town.
Read more on the Jepara tourism site (in English...., or should we say Englonesian?).
They call the place Benteng Portugis or "Portuguese Fort". But I put the title between quote marks, because if you... more travel advice
At Bandengan beach there are two relatively new resorts, both owned by expats. The best of the two is Palm Beach Resort.... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Jepara Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Jepara
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Jepara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jepara
Photos in JeparaSee All Photos (29)
Videos in JeparaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 61 reviews, 317 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue