"Kediri regency" Kediri by theo1006
Kediri Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 56 photos
The town of Kediri is not of much interest for tourism, but the regency Kediri is. The area extends from Wilis mountain in the west to the volcano Kelud in the east. On the slope of Wilis mountain one can visit the 125 m high Dolo waterfall.
Kelud volcano rivals Merapi in activity, but is lower and it is quite easy to reach the crater. After the eruption of November 2007 a smoking lava dome rose up where there used to be a crater lake, and the man-made tunnel for draining the lake now produces scalding hot water. Kediri regency government has upgraded the road to the crater, which has now become a prime destination for a local outing. If you have been to Bromo and Ijen, your next destination should be Kelud volcano!
The Kelud crater is about the same distance from Kediri and from Blitar. We prefer Blitar as a base, because there are more 'must-sees' in the neighbourhood.
The February 13th, 2014, eruption has made our account of Kelud volcano invalid. We passed by on February 28, when one was still not allowed closer than 3 km from the crater. But the guide who brought us that far on motorbike told that he had walked to the crater anyhow. Parking, tunnel, hotspring, everything has disappeared, and the crater become much deeper than before.
It remains to be seen what the attraction of the volcano will be after the mountain has quietened down. At the time of writing the attraction is disaster tourism. During weekends it is quite crowded at the nearest village Ngancar, from where one can approach by motorbike up to the limit imposed by the police.
See our travelogue Kelud after the February 2014 eruption for the changes in the landscape.
We based ourselves in Pare for visiting Trowulan, and found two temple sites near Pare as well as a hospital in Pare dating from colonial times.
The name Selomangleng can be translated as 'hanging rock' (selo = rock, mangleng = hanging). There are two caves of this... more travel advice
What was the governor of Kediri regency thinking...? Making Kediri a rival city of Paris? At a few km east from Kediri... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Kediri Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kediri
- 12 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Kediri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kediri
Photos in KediriSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 66 reviews, 327 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 23 reviews, 153 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue