"Malang" Top 5 Page for this destination Malang by theo1006
Malang Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 268 photos
What Yogyakarta is for Central Java, is Malang for East Java: the touristic centre. Well, there is not so much to do in the town itself, no kraton or silver works. But the climate is somewhat cooler than in Yogya, and there is a wide choice of accommodation and restaurants. Moreover it is easy to arrange transport or tours in East Java from Malang.
These are our pages of destinations you can explore with Malang as a base:
Blitar, with Kelud volcano, Penataran temple complex and Embultuk cave.
Kalibaru, plantation country south of the Ijen plateau.
Kawah Ijen, the crater where sulfur is harvested.
Tengger Caldera, with Bromo volcano.
Trawas and Batu, mountain resorts.
Trowulan, the former capital of Majapahit kingdom (1293–1527).
Malang is about three hours by train or car from Surabaya.
You can fly to Malang from Yogyakarta with Lion Air or Garuda.
The "Malabar Ekspres" train leaves Yogyakarta at 11:38pm and arrives in Malang at 7:04am.
"Gajayana" leaves Yogyakarta at 01.50am and arrives in Malang at 08:43 am.
"Malioboro Ekspres" leaves Yogyakarta at 09:00pm and arrives in Malang at 03:53am.
A complete list of Malang train connections can be found here, but the list does not quite agree with the PJKA website.
The receptionist of New Kawi Guesthouse recommended Depot Gang Jangkrik for our dinner, just across the road from the... more travel advice
On our last East Java trip we made a day trip to Pulau Sempu, which lies south of Malang just 800 m offshore from... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Malang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I beautiful city surrounded by mountains."
- "I love Malang"
- "BATU - MALANG - JATIM"
- "VISIT MALANG"
- "1st Trip to Indonesia, Malang"
- "Beautiful Malang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malang
- Hotels in Malang
- Transportation in Malang
- Restaurants in Malang
- Shopping in Malang
- Warnings and Dangers in Malang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malang
- 21 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Malang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malang
Photos in MalangSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 66 reviews, 327 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 28 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue