"Ponorogo, Reog City and Regency" Ponorogo by theo1006
Ponorogo Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 21 photos
Ponorogo is best known as the Reog City. The main Reog performances are held in the Suro month of the Javanese calender. But Ponorogo dance groups are also hired anytime anywhere in Central or East Java where there are festivities. See our travelogue of a reog performance in Salatiga.
The yearly performance at Ponorogo town square is a kind of theatre of 25 to 40 dancers and musicians, telling about a prince who will propose to a pretty maiden. It's leading dancer named Singo Barong, bears a mask full of peacock feathers weighing 30 - 40 kg and being supported with the strength of his teeth.
The city of Ponorogo lies south-west of Wilis mountain. The mountain is relatively untouched by mass tourism.
Ponorogo regency includes the impressive crater lake of Ngebel, and the Platuk waterfall. See our Things To Do tips.
Coming from Tulungagung we had intended to stay over at Madiun. But due to a traffic jam we got no farther than... more travel advice
Toya Merto is one of the waterfalls on Wilis Mountain, seldom visited and unspoiled. The easiest approach is from Ngebel... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Ponorogo Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ponorogo
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Ponorogo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ponorogo
Photos in PonorogoSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 55 reviews, 290 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue