"Baturraden near Purwokerto" Purwokerto by theo1006
Purwokerto Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 35 photos
Purwokerto is the capital of Banyumas regency. The town itself is sprawling and hot, not attractive for tourists. But it lies on a plain south of Gunung Slamet, the highest volcano of Central Java. And on the southern slopes of Slamet mountain there is the deservedly popular resort of Baturraden (often misspelled as Baturaden).
Baturraden used to be a stopover destination for bus tours going the length of Java: Jakarta - Bandung - Baturraden - Yogyakarta and so on. Unfortunately these tours have become less popular and the main hotel catering for foreign tourists - Queen Garden Hotel - stands mostly empty. The village itself has an abundance of more or less run-down 'melati' hotels, you may want to avoid those renting out rooms by the hour.
The main attraction for domestic family outings is the recreation park Lokawisata Baturraden. It is spaciously laid out in and around a river valley coming down from the mountain. On our visit of February 5th, 2010, we found the park surprisingly clean. They do a good job keeping it devoid of litter.
A must see for foreign visitors are the spectacular hot-water springs Pancuran Tujuh. The forested slopes of Gunung Slamet are good for hiking, although the best approach for climbing to the top is from the east, from the Probolinggo side. The all-in-one ticket also gives access to the Pancuran Tiga springs located inside the recreation park, to the 'Tourist Forest' and the pool Telaga Sunyi where swimming is not allowed. We think the best buy is a ticket for just the Pancuran Tujuh springs and independently the waterfall Curug Ceheng (see OTBP Tip).
On the road from Purwokerto via Purbalingga and Banjarnegara to Dieng Plateau we were looking for a place for lunch. In... more travel advice
A small waterfall with a deep pool within the pine forest. Telaga Sunyi means Quiet Lake. Indeed an idyllic spot,... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Purwokerto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I had lived there for 2.5years"
- "Baturraden near Purwokerto"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Purwokerto
- Hotels in Purwokerto
- Transportation in Purwokerto
- Restaurants in Purwokerto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Purwokerto
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Purwokerto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Purwokerto
Photos in PurwokertoSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 66 reviews, 327 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 23 reviews, 153 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue