"Sarangan mountain resort" Sarangan by theo1006
Sarangan Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 17 photos
Sarangan is a mountain resort on the eastern slopes of Lawu mountain. It's name means 'like a bird's nest', and it resembles a swallow's nest stuck to a cliff.
It has been popular since the Dutch created the lake, Telaga Pasir, by building a barrier across the outflow of water.
When I first came here in 1969 the place was desolate and dilapidated. But the surrounding nature was unspoilt, boating and swimming was great.
Nowadays accommodation extends to half the circumference of the lake, and most of the other half is occupied by food stalls. The water is dirty and they put up a sign 'swimming not allowed'.
Yet Sarangan is still the best base for climbing Lawu mountain, and for hiking among it's lower slopes.
If Sarangan is too developed for your taste, you may prefer Telaga Ngebel on Wilis Mountain, some 50 km more to the east.
Sarangan is actually in East Java province, but usually approached from Solo (Surakarta). The road passing over the southern slopes of Lawu mountain used to be narrow, steep and cobble-stoned, but it has been upgraded to become an alternative route between Solo and Madiun.
From Solo you can take a bus for the 40 km to Tawangmangu, which is a resort on the western side of Lawu mountain. Between Tawangmangu and Sarangan (18 km) go minibuses (colts).
If you have time, drop off the bus before reaching Tawangmangu and pay a visit to Candi Sukuh (temple), featuring erotic sculpture.
In the background Lawu mountain.
- Pros:Lawu mountain range is great.
- Cons:Local tourists spoil the place.
Hidden in the outer ridges of Lawu mountain is Curug Iwok, a creek with three consecutive waterfalls. To get there from... more travel advice
Mount Lawu is the most popular mountain to climb in Central Java. Hundreds of Indonesians yearly make the trip. So you... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Sarangan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Sarangan
- Hotels in Sarangan
- Transportation in Sarangan
- Nightlife in Sarangan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sarangan
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Sarangan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarangan
Photos in SaranganSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 61 reviews, 317 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue