"Trowulan, former capital of Majapahit kingdom" Trowulan by theo1006
Trowulan Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 85 photos
Trowulan may well be considered the most important historic site on Java, yet most tourists pass by it.
Here was the capital of the famous Majapahit kingdom in the 14th century A.D. According to a reconstruction by Dutch architect Henry Maclaine Pont the built-up area was at least 9 by 11 km large. All rediscovered structures were built of brick, the bricks being stacked without cement. By rubbing the bricks on a flat surface they were given a sharp outline so that a tight fit was ensured. The technique is still common in Bali.
Read more about Trowulan and the history of Majapahit on the trowulan.net site.
Wringin Lawang gate, pictured above, is still the model of gates big and small all over East Java.
Trowulan lies on the main road from Yogyakarta to Probolinggo and Banyuwangi. So the site can be visited when travelling overland from Yogya to Bali. On the same route one usually takes a day off for Bromo volcano and/or Ijen crater. Exploring the Trowulan site will need an extra day.
Unfortunately there is no accommodation in Trowulan village. One has to stay over in neighbouring towns of Jombang or Mojokerto, both at 15 km distance - or in Pare, at about 35 km. And one will need transport in Trowulan itself, as the various sites are several kilometres apart.
Best is to start with a visit to the Museum, which lies 1 km south of the main road. Get here an informative booklet including a map of the Trowulan area. The main attractions are the four restored temples and gates (see Things to Do); but there are also several sites where remains of brick buildings are still being uncovered (see OTBP). Seeking them all out easily fills a day.
- Pros:An important historical site
- Cons:No accommodation
- In a nutshell:Why Borobudur and not Trowulan?
Trowulan also happens to be the home of Indonesia's biggest Sleeping Buddha statue. With a length of 22 m it is the... more travel advice
Siti Hinggil meaning 'High Ground' was and is a sacred place where it is said that the first king of Majapahit used to... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Trowulan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "/the lost city of majapahit/"
- "Trowulan, former capital of Majapahit kingdom"
- "TROWULAN, A MAJAPAHIT ARCHEOLOGICAL HERITAGE"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trowulan
- 13 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Trowulan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trowulan
Photos in TrowulanSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 66 reviews, 327 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 28 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue