"Ujung Kulon National Park" Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon by theo1006
Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 63 photos
Ujung Kulon National Park is one of the few still uninhabited and untouched areas on the overpopulated island of Java. It lies on the most westerly tip of Java and consists of a peninsula and some islands, altogether 760 km2. It has been designated a Unesco World Heritage Site, mainly because it is the last vestige of the Javanese Rhino. Some 50 of them still live in the park, but they are seldom seen by tourists.
Tamanjaya is the village nearest to the park entrance. It takes a day to get there from Jakarta, either all the way by road (250 km), or by road to Labuan or Carita, where a boat can be chartered.
Few Indonesian tourists visit the park, and the foreigners who come here are mostly expats living on Java, like us.
The easy and expensive way is to book a tour, see your Lonely Planet guide.
But it is cheaper and more adventurous to travel to Tamanjaya and arrange a hike or a boat trip with the local people, like we did. See my tips and email me if you want more advice.
The only accommodation in Tamanjaya is Sunda Jaya homestay (a more ambitious hotel has gone broke). It is run by mr Komaruddin, who is also the chairman of the village representative council. Try his mobile phone number +62.85753638232. If this is out of range you may send a fax to +62.253.801835 or leave a message with the rangers' office in Labuan: +62.253.801731. Preferably using Bahasa Indonesia!
- Pros:Friendly and helpful locals
- Cons:Primitive facilities only
Do not try to walk around the reserve without a guide. You are bound to get lost! We heard of a guide from Jakarta... more travel advice
Do not expect to see Javanese Rhinos. We saw some wild cows, monkeys, and a host of peacocks suddenly fluttering... more travel advice
theo1006's Related Pages
Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ujung Kulon National Park - World Heritage Site"
- "Ujung Kulon National Park"
- "Taman Nasional Ujung Kulon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Hotels in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Transportation in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Restaurants in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- Warnings and Dangers in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suaka Margasatwa Ujungkulon
Photos in Suaka Margasatwa UjungkulonSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 55 reviews, 290 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue