"Theo and Helen" theo1006's Profile
We, Theo (1942) and Helen (1952), have chosen to live our retirement years in Java. Theo, a Dutch national, worked here in his former life for 16 years. Helen, born in Suriname, lived in France and the Netherlands, before she teamed up with Theo.
We love travelling off the beaten path, discovering places that most tourists pass by. In Java and Bali we do this with our own ISUZU minibus. And we find that Indonesia is also a good starting point to visit other countries in South-East Asia.
December 2006/January 2007 saw us in Helen's country of birth, Suriname, where we spent 2 months discovering the interior and other places.
In October 2007 we explored the region round Wilis mountain in East Java. This trip resulted in the tips on Madiun, Nganjuk, Ponorogo and Tulungagung, the towns which lie near this mountain.
in 2008 we did more exploring on Java, and visited Vietnam as well.
2009 was a busy year. We had occasion to visit West Timor twice, and also Timor Leste. See our tips on Kupang, Soe and Kefamenanu.
We also spent time on the Karimunjawa islands, and in China.
The year 2010 saw us in Thailand and Banda Aceh.
In 2011 long-standing travel wish was fulfilled, we took our car island-hopping from Java via Bali, Lombok and Sumbawa to Flores, where the Kelimuti lakes were our farthest destination.
In 2012 we circled around the globe: Indonesia - Netherlands - Suriname - Venezuela - Costa Rica - USA and back to Indonesia by way of Korea.
At the time of writing this update we are in Suriname for a 3 months' stay, where Theo has taken up a teaching assignment.
Our own minibus brings us everywhere in Java and Bali. It has ample space for 2 to 4 people with luggage and is just right for the road conditions.
Now that we have done Java to Flores by car, the next wish is to traverse the length of Sumatra.
As fro other countries, Spain is on our wish list.
Java is an overpopulated island. The population has about doubled since Theo first set foot here almost 40 years ago. The effects of this are visible everywhere.
On public holidays popular destinations are crowded with domestic tourists. Unless of course you like to mix with these crowds, you better plan your journey to avoid these days, or seek out a remote destination on them.
Consult the General Tip on our Indonesia page for the holidays in Indonesia for the years 2012 and 2013.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Addis Ababa Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 973 Reviews
- 4,617 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 86 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cablecar to Calamorro hill"
- created a Benalmádena Travel Page "Benalmádena"
- Wrote a Review Valley of the Eagles falconry display in Benalmádena Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Jepara Forum "Re: Jepara in 2 days"
- theo1006 and cal6060 are now friends.
- Commented on wise23girl's profile page
- Uploaded a Video to Distrikt Sipaliwini
updated their Profile Page "Theo and Helen"
PhotosSee All Photos (4617)
VideosSee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Salatiga Intro, 61 reviews, 317 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 4 travelogues
- Blitar Intro, 22 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Soe Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bima Intro, 23 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 22 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 25 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22467 Reviews - 54994 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Berlin Hotels
- 6983 Reviews - 15645 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23319 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5858 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos