"Birthplace of Confederation" Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Edward Island by Dester
Prince Edward Island Travel Guide: 401 reviews and 839 photos
The Confederation Bridge joins the eastern Canadian provinces of Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. The curved, 12.9 kilometre long bridge is the longest in the world crossing ice-covered water.
The decision to replace the existing ferry service with a bridge followed a heated debate between residents about how year-round access to the mainland would affect their way of life and livelihood. Eventually, it was decided that the debate would be settled at the polls. 59.4 per cent of Islanders voted Yes to a bridge, but still alot of folks were against it.
I think the World should take think as far ahead as PEI when it comes to an energy policy, If you want a glimpse of this province's energy future, drive the winding country roads to its eastern tip, take a left at the sign for the village of Elmira, and follow the red dirt track to the right.
Ten wind turbines stand along the trail, eventually Eastern Kings Wind Farm will generate 30 megawatts of electricity - 7.5 percent of the province's power by harnessing the strong winds that buffet the island's northern shore.
But more than an isolated project, the wind farm is part of an ambitious plan to enable Prince Edward Island, which has no significant coal, petroleum, natural gas, or hydro resources - to meet most of its electricity and 30 percent of its total energy needs from its own renewable resources by 2016. If successful, government officials say, this province will find itself at the cutting edge of the world's fastest growing energy program.
In addition to the Eastern Kings project, PEI's government is backing the creation of a hydrogen-powered village as well as expansions to existing wind farms on the northwestern tip of the island. Private companies, meanwhile, are building plants to produce ethanol from locally grown sugar beets and residential heat from forestry and farming waste.
- Pros:Everything, boy
- Cons:When I find one I'll let you know
- In a nutshell:The destination for a peace of quiet
Just a nice, quiet beach with lots of parking and picnic areas. more travel advice
Dester's Related Pages
Prince Edward Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Prince Edward Island"
- "Birthplace of Confederation"
- "Come to The Island"
- "Land of the Red Sand"
- "P.E.I. - Canada's beauty"
- "A walk on the beach on Prince Edward Island"
- "The rural charm of PEI."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prince Edward Island
- Hotels in Prince Edward Island
- Transportation in Prince Edward Island
- Nightlife in Prince Edward Island
- Restaurants in Prince Edward Island
- Shopping in Prince Edward Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Prince Edward Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prince Edward Island
- 17 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Prince Edward Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prince Edward Island
Photos in Prince Edward IslandSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Edward Island Intro, 17 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peoria Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos
- Kentucky Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Salvisa Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Jeffersontown 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Louisville 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Lawrenceburg Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Spirit Lake Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- California Intro, 1 review, 5 photos