"Catalunya, between sea and mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya by Elisabcn

Catalunya Travel Guide: 12,295 reviews and 29,611 photos

Catalunya, crucible of the Mediterranean Sea. Land that confines with all the world and, at the same time, it is obstinately loyal to itself. Dynamic people with solid roots who don’t forget their traditions and identity but smart enough to receive anything good and beautiful coming from outside; and not only from their neighbors in Levante and Aragón; not only from France that gets narrower to it to the north. Also from far-off countries, from that Greece which in the VI century BC founded the port of Emporio in the Gulf of Roses; and from Italy, which since the XV century intensifies its relationships, already frequent during Roman times.
A people able to receive and to give, grasp the foreign words and ideas, renew them with passion and fantasy to give them back transformed, with new senses and charm, with a new flavor.

Benvinguts a Catalunya . . . Enjoy!

About Catalan and Catalans. . .

Catalan is a neo Latin language (not dialect!) spoken by 10 million people in Catalunya, Balearic Islands, Països Valencians, Alger (Sardinia Island in Italy), France (Ariège and Pyrénées Orientales), Andorra and some areas of Aragón and Murcia.
Catalan is spoken in the UN! Thanks to Andorra (the only state which has Catalan as the official language), Catalan is spoken in places where a special permit is required ;-))

You will hear a lot of things about Catalan people . . . and not all of them are good ;-)))
I like to describe Catalans as a mix of "seny" and "rauxa" (the typically Catalan elements of down-to-earth pragmatism and a certain penchant for outbursts of riotous behavior). I think that they are also curious people and good travelers. Everywhere I travel, even in the most remote places, I always "hear" people speaking Catalan ;-)))
Catalunya is very rich in culture and some Catalans made their little contribution to the universal culture as well. Some names are: Antoni Gaudi', Pau Casals (violoncellist), Joan Miro', Josep Lluis Sert (architect), Ramon Llull (he was too many things!), Salvador Dali', Antoni Tàpies, Narcis Monturiol (inventor of the submarine), Lluis Domènech i Muntaner (architect). . and many more!

Its territory

Catalunya is divided in 4 provinces
-Barcelona
-Tarragona
-Lleida
-Girona

Each province is also divided in several "comarques". In order to help you to situate on the map all the tips of this page, I have written at the end of them the comarca and between parentesis the province.

Unfortunately I have few digital pictures about Catalunya and only from later mini trips. My page will be made of some random pictures that I have found here and there lost in my computer and that I will try to comment to you

• Pros:diversity, history, traditions and cultural heritage
  • Cons:I cannot see cons! :-))))
  • In a nutshell:P2B Catalan
  • Intro Updated Nov 26, 2010

• Oct 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM

oh my elisa, this is a stunning page, and fast become one of my favorites on vt! the catalan culture is very fascinating and all those cute villages - fabulous!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 5:06 AM

What a fascinating page! Thanks for the very informative and personalized tour of Catalunya - with its beautiful mix of history and nature, I can understand why you like it so much!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM

What a very interesting and enjoyable page. I had a lovely time following your footsteps - will be back to complete the tour. Thank you.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Thanks for very nice Elisabcn's Catalunya Page.I hope see you here.

Elisabcn Used To Live Here!

Elisabcn

“Put me on a plane already!!!”

Badges & Stats in Catalunya

Have you been to Catalunya?

Latest Activity in Catalunya