"Catalunya, between sea and mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya by Elisabcn
Catalunya Travel Guide: 12,708 reviews and 30,888 photos
A people able to receive and to give, grasp the foreign words and ideas, renew them with passion and fantasy to give them back transformed, with new senses and charm, with a new flavor.
Benvinguts a Catalunya . . . Enjoy!
Catalan is a neo Latin language (not dialect!) spoken by 10 million people in Catalunya, Balearic Islands, Països Valencians, Alger (Sardinia Island in Italy), France (Ariège and Pyrénées Orientales), Andorra and some areas of Aragón and Murcia.
Catalan is spoken in the UN! Thanks to Andorra (the only state which has Catalan as the official language), Catalan is spoken in places where a special permit is required ;-))
You will hear a lot of things about Catalan people . . . and not all of them are good ;-)))
I like to describe Catalans as a mix of "seny" and "rauxa" (the typically Catalan elements of down-to-earth pragmatism and a certain penchant for outbursts of riotous behavior). I think that they are also curious people and good travelers. Everywhere I travel, even in the most remote places, I always "hear" people speaking Catalan ;-)))
Catalunya is very rich in culture and some Catalans made their little contribution to the universal culture as well. Some names are: Antoni Gaudi', Pau Casals (violoncellist), Joan Miro', Josep Lluis Sert (architect), Ramon Llull (he was too many things!), Salvador Dali', Antoni Tàpies, Narcis Monturiol (inventor of the submarine), Lluis Domènech i Muntaner (architect). . and many more!
Catalunya is divided in 4 provinces
Each province is also divided in several "comarques". In order to help you to situate on the map all the tips of this page, I have written at the end of them the comarca and between parentesis the province.
Unfortunately I have few digital pictures about Catalunya and only from later mini trips. My page will be made of some random pictures that I have found here and there lost in my computer and that I will try to comment to you
- Pros:diversity, history, traditions and cultural heritage
- Cons:I cannot see cons! :-))))
- In a nutshell:P2B Catalan
Another medieval village in the heart of La Garrotxa (picture 1). During the XIIIth century a castle for the barons was... more travel advice
A must for any bridge lover, this medieval bridge is the jewel of the village and also its symbol. Its origin is unknown... more travel advice
Elisabcn's Related Pages
Catalunya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not only the coast"
- "Catalunya, between sea and mountains"
- "Catalonia so kwnon and so unknown"
- "CATALONIA, MY REAL NATION"
- "A Long Weekend in Catalunya"
- "Winter Sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Catalunya
- Hotels in Catalunya
- Transportation in Catalunya
- Nightlife in Catalunya
- Restaurants in Catalunya
- Shopping in Catalunya
- Warnings and Dangers in Catalunya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Catalunya
- 126 Reviews
- 225 Photos
- 53 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Catalunya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Catalunya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Intro, 140 reviews, 341 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jordan Intro, 30 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 48 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 45 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos