"Besalú, Ciutat Comtal" Top 5 Page for this destination Besalú by Elisabcn
Besalú Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 97 photos
Besalú has a rich past which is still reflected in its streets and monuments being Besalú one of the most beautiful and interesting medieval ensemble of Catalunya. Besalú became important as the capital of an independent County after the death of Guifré el Pilós (last count of Barcelona directly appointed by the Carolingian Emperor) at the end of the 9th century.
By the year 1000, at the end of the Carolingian dominance, the county of Besalú was with no doubt, one of the most important counties in Catalunya. Besalú was the centre of a large territory that served as a link between the plains near to the coast, agricultural and commercial land, and the highlands where the farming of livestock predominated. Besalú's town market was documented as far back as in 1027 and through the years its economic influence became very significant. In the 14th century, the market was still the main commercial centre of the Garrotxa area, and attracted farmers, artisans, traders and businessmen from the whole area. The gathering of so many people made possible any kind of trading but also an interesting exchange of cultures, fact that, again, is still reflected in the medieval village.
I visited Besalú for the first time when I was a child and I got fascinated by this beautiful village from other times and especially by its bridge which ,for me, is unique. Besalú and all the Garrotxa area in general, are places that I need to visit from time to time.
OFICINA DE TURISME DE BESALÚ
Plaça de la Llibertat, 1
TEL.: 972 59 12 40
FAX: 972 59 11 50
Don't hesitate to visit the Tourist Information Office. There are always a lot of activities and guided visits.
- In a nutshell:This is my favourite Catalunya
If you like liquors, Besalú is also known for its Ratafia. Its a kind of liquor or brandy flavoured with different herbs... more travel advice
Beautiful! This is the kind of architecture that I prefer: pure Romanesque style, simple lines and light and stone... more travel advice
Elisabcn's Related Pages
Besalú Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Besalú, Ciutat Comtal"
- "Small town with nice architecture"
- "Medieval Charm near the Costa Brava"
- "Stunningly Medieval Besalu"
- "Besalu - UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Besalú
- Hotels in Besalú
- Transportation in Besalú
- Restaurants in Besalú
- Warnings and Dangers in Besalú
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Besalú
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Besalú?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Besalú
Photos in BesalúSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Intro, 140 reviews, 341 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jordan Intro, 30 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 48 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 45 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos