"Kairouan, the Holy City" Top 5 Page for this destination Kairouan by Elisabcn
Kairouan Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 457 photos
Some people in Tunis get offended if you say that Tunisia is Africa. . .
Oh, no! They say . . . this is "the Méditeranée". But when you visit places like Kairouan and you find yourself in the middle of crowded souks, that mix up of smells, colors, local people in traditional dresses, Arabic music, animals then there is no doubt. . . this is also Africa.
I visited Kairouan for the second time in December 2008. It was a warm Sunday (about 23 degrees) and that day the city was particularly busy because it was the day before la Fête du Mouton, during the second Aid. So apart from some interesting spots to visit and all the city's religious and cultural heritage we found ourselves in the middle of that people's joy, preparations, last shopping, greetings and of course. . . lots of lambs!
That day Kairouan warmed my heart
Kairouan is the holiest city of Tunisia and one of the fourth holy cities of the Islam, being the oldest Islamic settlement, having the oldest mosque in North Africa and the world's oldest minaret.
Founded by Arabs by the year 670, the most important period for this city was around 800, when it became the capital of the Aghlabid dynasty. This would last a little bit more than a century, before the Fatimids made Mahdia their capital.
French people did not touch Kairouan a lot during the Protectorate as they respected its religious importance (and people's feelings) and for a long time Kairouan stayed inside the city walls and no Ville Nouvelle was constructed.
Kairouan is maybe the best place to know about Islam in Tunisia. Apart from the Great Mosque there are other interesting religious buildings like the Three Doors Mosque or some saints' zawyias. In 2009 Kairouan will be the Capital of the Islamic Culture with lots of cultural events.
- Pros:its cultural and religious heritage
- Cons:i don't see important cons
- In a nutshell:this is also Africa!
I found these palaces by chance, wandering around the narrow streets of the medina. These are some examples of some ... more travel advice
In the heart of the medina, this is not a tourist souq, it is very genuine! as you will find gift stalls for tourists... more travel advice
Elisabcn's Related Pages
Kairouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tunisia's Religious Centre"
- "Kairouan, the Holy City"
- "A city of mosques but also much more..."
- "KAIROUAN-Sacred city"
- "Kairouan: the 4th Holiest Muslim City"
- "My favourite city, full of culture!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kairouan
- Hotels in Kairouan
- Transportation in Kairouan
- Nightlife in Kairouan
- Restaurants in Kairouan
- Shopping in Kairouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kairouan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kairouan
- 15 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Kairouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kairouan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Intro, 140 reviews, 341 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jordan Intro, 30 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 48 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 45 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
Latest Kairouan hotel reviews
- Hotel La Kasbah
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013