"THE dreamed Riviera" Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar by Elisabcn
Bahir Dar Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 851 photos
Bahir Dar is a tourist destination also for locals: situated on the shore of one of the biggest lakes in Africa and with an incredible flora and fauna, it seems the perfect place to spend some days of relax. Bahir Dar is also a good base camp to visit Lake Tana Churches and Nile Falls as these destinations are at only 40 minutes by boat /road.
After too many hours on the road and a too much adventurous trip, Bahir Dar was for me THE dreamed land, a kind of Mexican Riviera where I could rest for a while. And oh yes, I rested . . . more than expected as I fell ill and was KO for some time. But this “stuck in the town” and my recovering walks around it allowed me to know more about this city, often underrated by foreigners, its local people and customs.
So in a country like Ethiopia choose Bahir Dar to take rest and, if you cannot avoid it, also to fall ill! The city offers all kind of accommodation and well equipped pharmacies.
Bahir Dar is located in the southern shore of Lake Tana, 578Km north of Addis Ababa. You can travel to Bahir Dar by road from the main cities like Addis Ababa, Lalibela or Gondar. The best option is to take a local bus which leaves from the bus station at 6.00 am so be there by 5.30am to catch a free seat. Believe me: waking up at 5.00 am to be at the bus station at 5.30 am IS REALLY THE BEST OPTION. Otherwise you will have to contract different mini buses and you risk to end up in a too much adventurous trip. If you don’t want to punish more your bottom with 10 more hours of bus, Bahir Dar has also an airport with domestic flights. You can fly to Bahir Dar from the main Ethiopian sites.
- Pros:THE dreamed Riviera
- Cons:Humid, humid, humid
- In a nutshell:A nice place to rest in the middle of your Ethiopian trip
I WILL TELL YOU NOW: if you go to Ethiopia your breakfast will always be scrambled eggs or fried eggs or omelette. If... more travel advice
Be sure: Ethiopian priests don’t care about tourists’ souls, they prefer their wallets. Anytime I felt ripped off in... more travel advice
Elisabcn's Related Pages
Bahir Dar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bahir Dar, Lake Tana and Blue Nile Falls"
- "THE dreamed Riviera"
- "LAKE MONASTERIES"
- "The town by the lake"
- "Bahir Dar"
- "Lovely town by the lake..."
- "Ethiopia's riviera"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bahir Dar
- Hotels in Bahir Dar
- Transportation in Bahir Dar
- Restaurants in Bahir Dar
- Shopping in Bahir Dar
- Warnings and Dangers in Bahir Dar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bahir Dar
- 17 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Bahir Dar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bahir Dar
Photos in Bahir DarSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Intro, 140 reviews, 341 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jordan Intro, 30 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 48 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 45 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos