"The Camelot of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Gonder by Elisabcn
Gonder Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 581 photos
One of the things that I liked most of Ethiopia is the diversity of sites and sceneries that the country has to offer. After getting lost in the narrow streets of the Muslim Harar and some relaxing walks by the lake Tana, I found myself exploring the rock hewn churches of Lalibela to reach finally a kind of forgotten Cittadel in Gonder. Flanked by twin mountain streams at an altitude of more than 2,300 m and surrounded by eucalyptus trees, Gonder and its imposing fortress and castles appeared to me as a Medieval Camelot.
At the beginning of the trip, Gonder was not on my Ethiopia wish list. That means that, if time was tight, we were ready to skip it in order to spend some days in the Simien Mountains. But that would have been a pity because Debre Birhan Church with its angels-voyeurs were one of the highlights of my Ethiopian trip.
- Pros:The churches' paintings are wonderful
- In a nutshell:The last stop before Simien Mountains
If you are coming from the south of the country, Gonder is the last important stop before Simien Mountains. In the bus... more travel advice
The construction of this residential complex on the hills, at 4km north west of the city, is attributed to Queen... more travel advice
Elisabcn's Related Pages
Gonder Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FASIL'S CASTLE"
- "Gonder is a real wonder!"
- "The Camelot of Africa"
- "Gondar ? Africa`s Chamelot"
- "A good vibe"
- "Edinburgh of Ethiopia!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gonder
- Hotels in Gonder
- Transportation in Gonder
- Nightlife in Gonder
- Restaurants in Gonder
- Shopping in Gonder
- Warnings and Dangers in Gonder
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gonder
- 12 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Gonder?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gonder
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Intro, 140 reviews, 341 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jordan Intro, 30 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 48 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 45 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Īle-de-France Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos