"The Camelot of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Gonder by Elisabcn

Gonder Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 551 photos

One of the things that I liked most of Ethiopia is the diversity of sites and sceneries that the country has to offer. After getting lost in the narrow streets of the Muslim Harar and some relaxing walks by the lake Tana, I found myself exploring the rock hewn churches of Lalibela to reach finally a kind of forgotten Cittadel in Gonder. Flanked by twin mountain streams at an altitude of more than 2,300 m and surrounded by eucalyptus trees, Gonder and its imposing fortress and castles appeared to me as a Medieval Camelot.

At the beginning of the trip, Gonder was not on my Ethiopia wish list. That means that, if time was tight, we were ready to skip it in order to spend some days in the Simien Mountains. But that would have been a pity because Debre Birhan Church with its angels-voyeurs were one of the highlights of my Ethiopian trip.

Use Gonder to spend some relaxing days before the great hike.

• Pros:The churches' paintings are wonderful
  • In a nutshell:The last stop before Simien Mountains
  • Last visit to Gonder: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 16, 2010

• MM212's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2011 at 5:11 AM

Great page in a fascinating country I hope to visit one day. Cheers from Los Angeles.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2011 at 3:21 AM

The more I read of your Ethiopean adventures, the more it confirms my wish to go there one day. I enjoyed reading your tips about the castles & churches very much, and absolutely loved your photos of the Debre Birhan Selassie church :-)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM

With such variety of sightseeing, Gonder sounds like a great place to spend a few days. Loved those churches and its stunning decorations of the walls! Sunset + local beer + good company, that's certainly a very good choice of nightlife :)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM

So you went to Ethiopia. Now that looks really interesting.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Absolutely superb information and tips!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 11:32 PM

The paintings are amazing and Gonder seems to be an interesting place to visit. To end a day of sight-seeing on the terrace of Fogera Hotel sounds great!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM

What interesting tips and LOVELY photos! Not at all what I envisioned Ethiopia to look like - I look forward to reading more!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Wow, I like all these fascinating buildings!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Wow, I would never have guessed such treasures were hidden in Ethiopia, no wonder you like it so much! Truly fascinating tips & pics, thanks for sharing!

• Dec 18, 2010 at 4:51 AM

elisa! what a fantastic page about such a unique destination. i love all the historical buildings, so fascinating. the artworks in the churches are stunning too, so well preserved! looking forward to reading about the simien hike! nice work bella! x

Elisabcn

“Put me on a plane already!!!”

Badges & Stats in Gonder