"El Valle Sagrado" Top 5 Page for this destination Ollantaitambo by Elisabcn

Ollantaitambo Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 177 photos

Some days between the Incas

Hoy voy a VERTE DE NUEVO
voy a envolverme en tu ropa,
susúrrame en tu silencio
cuando me veas llegar.
Hoy voy a verte de nuevo,
voy a alegrar tu tristeza:
vamos a hacer una fiesta
pa’ que este amor crezca más.

Sorry my dear vt readers for this freaky introduction :-)). I am not a Gloria Estafan's fan but some landscapes on this video and its background Andean music always reminds me about happy moments spent during my trip to Peru.
El Valle Sagrado and especially Machu Picchu attracted me since my childhood. I think that Inca civilization, so rich and also so mysterious, is so interesting that during many years I collected many books, reviews and articles about it. Peru was a very desired trip, always on the top of my wishlist.
So let's travel to Los Andes, to El Valle Sagrado (The Sacred Valley), which borns in Pisac and follows the Urubamba river until Olaytantambo and Chinchero. Sacred for Incas, this is one of the bests places to see and understand about them. Its remains tell us about their daily life but also about their spirituality and beliefs. El Valle Sagrado means much more than the Inca Trail: stunning landscapes, small Andean villages still inhabited by quechua communities that keep their roots and traditions, multicolour markets, thermal springs, agricultural terraces and snow-covered peaks.

How to travel to Valle Sagrado

Take your time and visit El Valle Sagrado well. If you set your base camp in Cusco, you can do day trips using the “combi” (the local transport). They go to Valle Sagrado from Cusco following two routes: one through Pisac and the other through Chinchero both finishing in Urubamba. Once you are in Valle Sagrado, a secondary road joins all the small villages, from Urcos until Ollantaytambo. Almost all the hotels in Cusco have a cloakroom so you can leave your big backpack there and take a smaller one for your trips to the Valle Sagrado.
If you don't have a lot of time or you prefer a more comfortable trip, almost all the travel agencies in Cusco offer you guided day trips. You just need to go to Plaza de las Armas and choose the one that suits you.

El Boleto

If you are traveling to Valle Sagrado on your own, make sure you buy the "Boleto" before starting your trip. You will be able to visit 16 sites saving a lot of money. You can find this boleto in different places in Cusco (Avenida del Sol) and you can use it during 9 days.

• Pros:stunning landscapes, culture, traditions, archeology
  • In a nutshell:Some days between the Incas
  • Last visit to Ollantaitambo: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2009

• CeciliaL's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Thanks for sharing the tips and the beautiful pictures :)

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Thank you for visiting my Laos page. I enjoyed this Ollataitambo page (when I went through myself, there were riots, teargas...)

• Aug 26, 2009 at 1:25 AM

elisa, thanks for sharing your beautiful photos with us. combined with your excellent information, this has been one of my fave pages on the inca trail so far! great for my research next year! gracias! x

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 6:10 AM

What a great page! Fantastic tips & pics! Going on the Inca Trail truly seems like a once in a life time adventure, I would love to do it someday. Thanks for sharing!

Elisabcn

“Put me on a plane already!!!”

Badges & Stats in Ollantaitambo

Have you been to Ollantaitambo?