"El Valle Sagrado" Top 5 Page for this destination Ollantaitambo by Elisabcn
Ollantaitambo Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 177 photos
voy a envolverme en tu ropa,
susúrrame en tu silencio
cuando me veas llegar.
Hoy voy a verte de nuevo,
voy a alegrar tu tristeza:
vamos a hacer una fiesta
pa’ que este amor crezca más.
Sorry my dear vt readers for this freaky introduction :-)). I am not a Gloria Estafan's fan but some landscapes on this video and its background Andean music always reminds me about happy moments spent during my trip to Peru.
El Valle Sagrado and especially Machu Picchu attracted me since my childhood. I think that Inca civilization, so rich and also so mysterious, is so interesting that during many years I collected many books, reviews and articles about it. Peru was a very desired trip, always on the top of my wishlist.
So let's travel to Los Andes, to El Valle Sagrado (The Sacred Valley), which borns in Pisac and follows the Urubamba river until Olaytantambo and Chinchero. Sacred for Incas, this is one of the bests places to see and understand about them. Its remains tell us about their daily life but also about their spirituality and beliefs. El Valle Sagrado means much more than the Inca Trail: stunning landscapes, small Andean villages still inhabited by quechua communities that keep their roots and traditions, multicolour markets, thermal springs, agricultural terraces and snow-covered peaks.
Take your time and visit El Valle Sagrado well. If you set your base camp in Cusco, you can do day trips using the “combi” (the local transport). They go to Valle Sagrado from Cusco following two routes: one through Pisac and the other through Chinchero both finishing in Urubamba. Once you are in Valle Sagrado, a secondary road joins all the small villages, from Urcos until Ollantaytambo. Almost all the hotels in Cusco have a cloakroom so you can leave your big backpack there and take a smaller one for your trips to the Valle Sagrado.
If you don't have a lot of time or you prefer a more comfortable trip, almost all the travel agencies in Cusco offer you guided day trips. You just need to go to Plaza de las Armas and choose the one that suits you.
If you are traveling to Valle Sagrado on your own, make sure you buy the "Boleto" before starting your trip. You will be able to visit 16 sites saving a lot of money. You can find this boleto in different places in Cusco (Avenida del Sol) and you can use it during 9 days.
- Pros:stunning landscapes, culture, traditions, archeology
- In a nutshell:Some days between the Incas
The best way to travel around el Valle Sagrado is by combi. Combis are a kind of mini buses (see the picture). It is... more travel advice
The third day is the longest stage but it is also unforgettable. Here you will go from 3800m (paso de Runcuracay) till... more travel advice
Elisabcn's Related Pages
Ollantaitambo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On not taking the easy way: The Sacred Valley"
- "El Valle Sagrado"
- "The end of the Sacred Valley"
- "a surviving example of an inca grid system!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ollantaitambo
- Hotels in Ollantaitambo
- Transportation in Ollantaitambo
- Nightlife in Ollantaitambo
- Restaurants in Ollantaitambo
- Shopping in Ollantaitambo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ollantaitambo
- 15 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ollantaitambo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ollantaitambo
Photos in OllantaitamboSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Intro, 140 reviews, 341 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jordan Intro, 30 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 48 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 45 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos