"City of the Infinite" Anantapur by Elisabcn

Anantapur Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 16 photos

This is the first page on VT about Anantapur and I guess why. Anantapur is situated in the State of Andhra Pradesh. In local language Anantapur means « City of the Infinite ». There are no important conflicts in Anantapur but a continuous lack of everything. After the Rhajastan Desert this is the most arid (and poorest) zone in India. However the 80% of people in Anantapur depends on agriculture so you can imagine the situation.

Have you ever heard about Dalits ? I prefer to use Mahatma Gandhi’s term “Harijan” that means "Children of God" . . .

Anantapur was never the object of my trip to South India. But once there I did not mind to do some hours of bad road (and bad Indian music!) from Bangalore to visit some “special people”. There is not need to say that it was worth it.

Don't expect to find on this small page historical buildings or touristy things, I can only show you tons of smiles and some hope.

Enjoy.

• Pros:smiles, hope
  • Cons:forgotten by almost everybody . . .
  • In a nutshell:looking for the God of small things
  • Last visit to Anantapur: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2009

• marvelous_girl's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2011 at 2:53 AM

This is awsome :)

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM

It is said that the best photographers know how to use the camera to tell a story. Yours are among the best I have seen that tell the story. Many thanks.

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Lovely pager indeed. It was the bathing pic on Vt'S HOMEPAGE THAT BROUGHT ME HERE. COMMENDABLE EFFORT TO REACH SUCH A PLACE. BRAVO :-)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

great page Elisa! thanks for sharing these tips and amazing real photos

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Merci d'avoir visité ma page sur Sayaxché. Anantapur seems like a place I would lobe to visit, and to work in for a while I wish I could work with seniors in another country (it is my work in the US).

• Dec 20, 2010 at 10:12 PM

indian gulliver!!! hahaha. very cool picture. a lovely story elisa, smiling children are always a highlight of any trip in my opinion!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Fascinating tip about Vicens Ferrer and his work in Anantapur! And your tips about the hospitals, workshops and schools.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Very interesting page, Elisa. Love the photo of the smiling schoolkids... we visited a school in Namibia - a highlight for us. Had a career in healthcare, enjoyed the happy hospital tip, too.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 5:31 AM

I enjoyed reading your Anantapur page Elisa! The workshop for the disabled women sounds great! Next year I will visit India for the first time, but only more visited areas.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Indeed some very happy photos with so many smiles!An inspiring page..love it!

Elisabcn

“Put me on a plane already!!!”

Badges & Stats in Anantapur

Have you been to Anantapur?