"24 hours in Canberra" Canberra by betska
Canberra Travel Guide: 930 reviews and 2,529 photos
The reason for our whistle-stop trip to Canberra was to see an exhibition of 113 Post-Impressionism works on loan to the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra from the Muse'e D'Orsay in Paris. This was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the original works from some of our favourite artists up close - close enough to touch! Not allowed, of course and also no photography whatsoever.
We had to queue for 1.5 hours before we finally made it into the gallery.
I have always had a love for the pointillism style led by Georges Seurat so to see "Study for a Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" was a highlight of the day. Many of his paintings were so tiny!
The pick of the exhibition (in our eyes) were the works of Van Gogh. We have seen photos & prints of his "Starry Night" many times over, but to see the real thing was amazing - the intensity of colour & brushstrokes.....I am no expert but he truly was a genius of his time.
This link should take you to a place to see more:
No visit to Canberra would be complete without a visit to the Australian War Memorial & museum.
The Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of all Australians who have died in war. I was able to locate the plaque of my great uncle Ernie who died in France in the First World War, and leave a red poppy.
More details & photos in "things to do"
- Pros:Clean, plenty of trees
- Cons:We kept getting lost, couldn't "get" the street layouts!
betska's Related Pages
Canberra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful, immoral, tempting and terribly ........"
- "CANBERRA - Aboriginal for "MEETING PLACE""
- "The Bush Capital..or..a good sheep paddock wasted?"
- "A Capital Idea"
- "Canberra Our Home"
- "A Capital City in the Middle of Nowhere"
- "CANBERRA, WE KEEP COMING BACK HERE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canberra
- Hotels in Canberra
- Transportation in Canberra
- Nightlife in Canberra
- Restaurants in Canberra
- Shopping in Canberra
- Warnings and Dangers in Canberra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canberra
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Canberra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canberra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 11 reviews, 127 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Hue Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nha Trang Intro, 11 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ha Long Intro, 4 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Long Island Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Da Lat Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos