"24 hours in Canberra" Canberra by betska

Canberra Travel Guide: 930 reviews and 2,529 photos

Jumping for Norman in Canberra
Masterpieces from Paris

The reason for our whistle-stop trip to Canberra was to see an exhibition of 113 Post-Impressionism works on loan to the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra from the Muse'e D'Orsay in Paris. This was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the original works from some of our favourite artists up close - close enough to touch! Not allowed, of course and also no photography whatsoever.

We had to queue for 1.5 hours before we finally made it into the gallery.

I have always had a love for the pointillism style led by Georges Seurat so to see "Study for a Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" was a highlight of the day. Many of his paintings were so tiny!

The pick of the exhibition (in our eyes) were the works of Van Gogh. We have seen photos & prints of his "Starry Night" many times over, but to see the real thing was amazing - the intensity of colour & brushstrokes.....I am no expert but he truly was a genius of his time.

This link should take you to a place to see more:

The Australian War Memorial

No visit to Canberra would be complete without a visit to the Australian War Memorial & museum.

The Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of all Australians who have died in war. I was able to locate the plaque of my great uncle Ernie who died in France in the First World War, and leave a red poppy.

More details & photos in "things to do"

• Pros:Clean, plenty of trees
  • Cons:We kept getting lost, couldn't "get" the street layouts!
  • Last visit to Canberra: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2010

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Good Golly...its JUMPING Betty!! Haaa.GREAT photo Betty..I'm really looking forward to reading about your jaunt to Canberra..Van Gogh really adds to the weekend doesn't it!!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Haha...awesome!!! I found it - hehehehe!!!! Will add it to both FB and VT galleries!!!! Hugs and thanks, Norman :)

betska

“itchy feet”

Badges & Stats in Canberra

Have you been to Canberra?

Latest Activity in Canberra