"Long Island - in the middle of the Whitsundays" Long Island by betska
Long Island Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 24 photos
The first settlers on Long Island were boat crew who were stranded after their vessel "The Valetta" was damaged on a reef back in 1825. They remained here for 3 months until another ship came by & rescued them. What a place to get stranded!
We came over from Airlie Beach on a day trip to visit Long Island Resort, Happy Bay. Having already been to both Daydream & Hamilton Islands, we were keen to see if this place had a more peaceful & relaxed vibe. We weren't dissapointed!
Standby specials are available at Airlie Beach, if you want to stay here for a few days. In December 2008, the standby price for a Beachfront room was $160 per night, per person (twin share) including all meals and transfers. Slightly less for the Garden rooms. There is a free kid's club (4-14 years) and nightly entertainment.
There are also cheaper options using the Barefoot Lodges where it is more dorm-style, as well as twin/doubles. See www.oceanhotels.com.au for the latest prices and deals.
There is another resort on Long Island a little further south called Palm Bay Peppers Resort. We didn't see this place, but were told that it was a little more upmarket, and you can stay in little bures spread along the beach. Some of the walking tracks pass this area.
The jetty is a pleasant 400m stroll from the resort. When we were leaving, we saw a huge turtle surface and look at us - we were so excited that we didn't get a photo - oh, well, there will be a next time, it's on my list for a holiday down the track!
- Pros:A perfect place to come for a quiet, relaxing break
- Cons:Probably too quiet if you are looking for noisy nightlife
The day trip to Long Island cost A$85 per adult. Discount coupons can be found in the many free Whitsunday guides that... more travel advice
You are on holidays. Forget the TV. Forget the mobile phone. Relax and enjoy the peace. more travel advice
betska's Related Pages
Long Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Long Island - in the middle of the Whitsundays"
- "Small, Family Orientated Whitsunday Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Long Island
- Hotels in Long Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Long Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Aegina Island
- Willemstad Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Sur
- Königsdorf Hotels
- Evergreen Park Hotels
- Grande Prairie Hotels
- Captiva Island
- Dar es Salaam
- Washington Monument State Park Hotels
- Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
Badges & Stats in Long Island
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Long Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Long Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 11 reviews, 127 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Hue Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nha Trang Intro, 11 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ha Long Intro, 4 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Long Island Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Da Lat Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos