"CU CHI" Top 5 Page for this destination Cu Chi by betska

Cu Chi Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 562 photos

Cu Chi Tunnels

About 30km from Saigon. We did a day trip which was combined with a visit to the Caodai Great Temple in Tay Ninh. More info on that on my Tay Ninh page.
The day trip was cheap - US$7 each but an extra 70,000 dong had to be paid to the army to enter Cu Chi.
It was a full day and I really enjoyed the rural scenery from the bus there and back.

The tunnels

In the 1960's the tunnel system stretched from Saigon to the Cambodian border and in the Cu Chi district alone there were over 200km of tunnels. Part of the tunnel system has been reconstructed for visitors. The tunnels have been enlarged so the larger western tourists can fit through.

Want to fire an M60?

Not a cheap activity but the guys seem to love this.
about US$20 for 5 rounds.
Make sure you wear hearing protection. Even if you are only taking the photos!

• Pros:Interesting to learn how the VC lived underground
  • Cons:Rank toilets (hold your nose)
  • In a nutshell:Sad that it only happened here around 40 years ago
  • Last visit to Cu Chi: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I also went through the tunnel in 1995 and it was fine, even though I do tend to be claustrophobic at times.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I definitely have to get going to the gym if I want any hope of visiting those tunnels..horrible traps...rather nasty opponent those VC!

• lindyz's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Hi Betska - this was indeed an interesting tour wasnt it, thought provoking and quite amazing. :):)

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Now I see how you got to Cambodia. Did they collect the $20 visa on arrival fee at the end of the tunnel? :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Yikes, I don't think I can go through that tunnel -- I am claustrophobic, Norman :)

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 9:23 PM

back again looking at your great pages Betty..they are really informative...great pics also..

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Great photo's...slowly working through your Vietnam pages! Can't wait to get there myself!

betska