"Bavaria in a Nutshell" Bad Tölz by Turtleshell

Bad Tölz Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 61 photos

A picturesque town

In February 2008, I moved to Bad Tölz following a job offer. It literally took me months to come to a decision - after all moving from Berlin, a 3.5 million metropolis, to a Bavarian village with 17,000 locals and 5 dogs, is quite a change.

So, to get a long story short: Here I am, and the first thing that struck my eyes were the facade paintings, the so-called Lüftl-paintings. Honestly, I'm still not sure if I like them, but it gives the town a picturesque touch, which is quite common for cities and towns south of Munich or Oberbayern (Upper Bavaria) or the Alpenvorland.

Bad Tölz is a one-hour drive away from Munich, which makes the town a near ideal place for a day-trip (Salzburg, Austria still ranks first, but that would be a 2-hour trip one-way).

The first word in Bad Tölz, by the way, does not exactly mean "evil" but as much as "Bath" or "Spa", though I quite don't get why people would pick this town as their preferred health resort: It's raining two times as much as it does in Hamburg, northern Germany, and while I'm used to the traffic in Berlin, the drivers here are just crazy. I'd pick Langeoog or Spiekeroog where cars are prohibited. Rant over.

If you happen to be in Munich and would like to see a quaint little town, something "original Bavarian", or if you like hiking or would like to get a tad closer to the Alps, seriously consider Bad Tölz.

Old Town and Spa Town

Coming fom Berlin, I was happy finding an apartment at Marktstrasse, the most "vibrant" part of Bad Tölz. It's a shopping street and center of the old town. Tölz basically consist of two parts divided by river Isar, the "old town" and the "spa town".

River Isar

One of the things I like most is walking alongside river Isar. Unless rainwater from the surrounding hills and mountains have turned Isar into a brownish, muddy stream (which happens frequently, did I mention it statistically rains 2.5 to 3 times more often than in Berlin?), the riverbed is shallow, the water is translucent turquoise with white-grayish gravel banks sticking out of the river. Nice.
Of course there are idiots (yes, idiots) who picnic on one of those banks and then "forget" to take their waste back home.

• Pros:Picturesque, only a 1-hour drive from Munich, river Isar, close to the Alps
  • Cons:Rain! More rain. Crazy car drivers.
  • In a nutshell:Bavaria in a nutshell
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2012

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Oh, so you've lived almost "opposite" of Benno's police station :-)) I was only driving past Bad Tölz this year, never actually made it into town but the landscape and Isar river banks are ... gorgeous!!

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo
      Nov 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Thanks for your comment, Trekki. I have never watched 'Der Bulle von Tölz' on TV, but from what I read online, the police station was a bit further down (or rather up) Marktstrasse in the former townhall. I live 500 yards down close to the river. In my travellogue you can see a view out of my bedroom.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I've just realised that I have visited this page before on a fact finding mission for a past trip. It is good to come back and see it again as I am looking for prospective day trips from Munich with my family next year. Would Bad Toelz be a good contender?

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We may be taking a trip to Munich in May and considering Bad Toelz for a day trip. Thanks for the tips and the Marktstrasse looks peaceful

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I love reading about the small towns as I am not really a big city type of person. Thanks for sharing the tips and photos.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2010 at 5:54 AM

It's so hot here. I think I'd like to find my shoes wet from the grass.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM

This looks a beautiful place to live, especially with the lovely river.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2009 at 5:22 AM

I know somebody who moved from Frankfurt to Bad Tolz when she retired. She claims to like it there. To each his/her own, I suppose.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM

i've seen painted facades like that in genoa

• Sage49's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

been a long time, how are you? what's new w/ you?

• delcity's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM

one hour from munich if bad tolz is near dinkelsbuhl you schold ask about the fire in the sky and loud noise coming from the sky that was heard for hundreds of years until the late 1940`ths

Turtleshell Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Bad Tölz

Have you been to Bad Tölz?

Latest Activity in Bad Tölz